AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-Layers?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
SMILES
1072 Views, 4 Replies

G-Layers?

I all,

I am using ACA 2014, and I have noticed that I am now getting G-Layers in my drawings.   I am using Project Navigator and I at first thought it was when I selected "General" when creating a new view drawing, but now I am not certain.  They come in when generating most view drawings.  It seems redundant as I am used to the A-Sect-xxx layers.  Is there a way to control these or make it default back to the standard layers of years past?  If anyone has identified the purpose of these, that would be helpful as well, maybe I am not thinking about them in the correct way.

Thank you for your help!

Steve Miles

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: SMILES

Where are you 'navigating' to to grab this content?
Message 3 of 5
SMILES
in reply to: pendean

Hi Dean,

Well I am not navigating anyhwere, it is autogenerating.  Say I drag a project based room tag in, it will come in on the "G-Area-Spc-Iden" instead of "A-Area-Spc-Iden" and the color is different than the 171 that I am used to.

I have the same issues when bringing in components from the detail component library, they are coming in as "G-Detl-Fine"  instead of "A-Detl-Fine", and again the colors are different, and so on for all the layers.

I use the same project template to start each project, but I do not know if it is something I am doing when creating the View drawing.  I have paid attention to the options of General / Section - Elevation / Detail, but I have not found that makes any difference.

It got me thinking that it may be a toggle that is drawing specific? 

Thanks for your help - This has been stumping me for a while.  I usually end up changing the color to what I am used to, but it is adding another step, so I decided to try and figure whats going on.

Thanks again,

Steve M.

Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: SMILES

The out-of-the-box Layer Key Style got some reworking in the 2014 release.  An effort was made to have the same layer keys work for all disciplines (including those using AMEP).  To achieve that goal, they moved most (possibly all?) common annotation items to the General discipline.  Some of the colors may have been adjusted as well, since the other disciplines were not necessarily using the same colors as the architects.

If that is not to your liking, you can always make a copy of the ootb Layer Key Style and edit the layer names and attributes and set that Layer Key Style current.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
SMILES
in reply to: David_W_Koch

OK - that's what I was looking for. Just making sure I wasn't going crazy. I am not sure I want to customize it, as we have every discipline in our firm. Maybe this is a good thing if I can get them to start using appropriate layers. Thanks for the info!

Steve M.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost