AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Font styles in relation to file size?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Mike.Lamka
1917 Views, 3 Replies

Font styles in relation to file size?

Hello, 

I have a question regarding font styles in relation to pdf output size.  Our company uses primarily romans font for notes and such and then romand or arial for tiles.  Can any of these affect the file size?  The cad file will be relatively small, but some of the output pdf files are quite large.  On a side note. will inserting OLE objects also affect it?  We sometimes insert ole's from consultants as they don't always send us the cad files.

Thank you,

Mike Lamka

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
leothebuilder
in reply to: Mike.Lamka

Fonts do affect the file size and output to PDF, but only marginally.

It depends on the font you use and the PDF writer you use.

I have a specification sheet using Aerial font and the resulting PDF (autocad PDF) is 324 Kb.

That is not a large file in my opinion.

Drawings with a lot of htches create larger files and PDF output.

Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: leothebuilder

If I remember correctly, if TTF fonts aren't "captured" as text when a PDF is printed, the text is turned into *lots* of non-vector bits which can result in much larger files (not to mention, the text isn't searchable).  OLE objects with text will likely do the same thing e.g. OLE Excel content instead of linking the workbook to an AutoCAD table.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
dschlichter
in reply to: dgorsman

The answer is correct but din't describe how to make sure autocad was identifying it as text. I found this thread that solve my problem. TTF files went for 5 mb to 100kb!

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?114557-AutoCAD-2010-DWG-to-PDF-TTF-Issue
"oksana 

Re: AutoCAD 2010 DWG to PDF TTF Issue
Did you try to change "Custom Properties" for "Font Handling" in "DWG to PDF.pc3"?
To do this go to:

PLOT > select "DWG to PDF.pc3" for Printer > select "Properties" button next to it > find and select "Custom Properties" from the list > and then "Custom Properties" button > check "Capture some" and "Edit Font List" > make sure "Arial" is checked > OK > OK > OK.

Hope this helps."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost