AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files do not save and lose existing file no warning

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gregory_johnson
692 Views, 4 Replies

Files do not save and lose existing file no warning

Hello, I hope someone can help with this issue.  For the past couple of months we have noticed we are loosing files on the save command with no warning or notice.  When the drawing is saved and then closed we discover that occasionally the file did not save and the original version of the file is lost.  Sometimes the original version gets saved as a bak file but not always.  No warning message shows up to inform that the command was not completed correctly, it looks like the save took place.

Recently we switched to Windows 7, 64 bit machines.  All three machines this has occured on match and are saving back to 2010 version.  One of the machines is running a trial version of Architecture 2011, the other two are running network licenses of Architecture 2012 with Service Pack 1.  The files being lost are all located on a server in the same folder structure, not in the same folder.  That server is new and has some sort of mirroring set up to image files to multiple locations? This phenomenon has only been noticed to occur on saving a file from Architecture.  We do save other file types to the same folders and have not noticed any going missing.  To my knowlege the files never show back up (one of our IT staff suggested the mirroring might be causing a delay in the file showing up in the folder.)

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cnewton
in reply to: gregory_johnson

I am surprised you haven't had a response on this. I have been having the same issue. I have a newer windows 7- 64 bit, running Architecture 2012. When this happens there is no warning, the program doesn't crash, the file just disappears. I have just been working on a file for the last three hours and saving it each time I make substatial changes. I changed the layer that a piece of text was on, then opened a block for diting. The screen flashed and an already open drawing appeared, but not the one I was working on. I went back to the task bar and it was't there. So I opened the drawing and it was the version from yesterday!?! When I went to my backups, I found a bak from my last save operation, but no SV$ autosaves at all. So I checked my autosave settings and they are on and set for 10 minute intervals and 0 incremental. The lucky part is I only lost 30 minutes of work, no 3 hours. This is not the first time this has happened nor do I think it will be the last.

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Spillman Farmer Architects
Message 3 of 5
mmartinez5
in reply to: cnewton

Have you installed update 1?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17813020&linkID=9240658

That should resolve your issue.

Mark Martinez

DC CADD

Mark Martinez
ASTI
Message 4 of 5
cnewton
in reply to: mmartinez5

Nice thought, but I installed service pack one long ago. There have been many hicups that seem like anomalies until it hits you that either you have a very strong case of dejavu, or this really has happened before:

You open a file you worked on yesterday and none of your changes are there. Was it a case of you thought you fixed that?You edited the wrong file?, You forgot to save? or did the server or ACAD have a hiccup?

Often when changing views or drawings, the drawing shown as active on the task bar is not the image you are seeing. This might be a graphics card issue.

The recent files list, does not always show the crawings you have worked on today, it only shows yesterdays files.

Toolpaletts routinely fail to load or close when changing drawings. Always when changing projects.

Palletts stay anchored, but constantly change order.

We work in a server environment as I would guess most cad users do if they are not single users. The Project Navigator is a great tool, but every open, saveas, send to, print to, makes you scroll up and down the file tree on the server to find where your projetcs are. I don't know about you, but I may work on as many as 10 projects in a given day. Shortcuts help but are not the whole solution. It seems that autocad is just not server friendly. I may have to violate my company ploicy and work from my local drive, updating to the server on a daily basis.

I am frustrated that for every advance acad makes (and there are some great new tools), 2 problems crop up.

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Message 5 of 5
cnewton
in reply to: cnewton

AHA!

So it happened again, luckily this time is was 5 minutes of loss, not 3 hours. Because I was paying strict attention, I realized what I did and I can replicate it. Completely my own stupidity. I was editing a block in place, but instead of right clicking and selecting the edit in place option, I reverted to an old behavior and double clicked the block, which now launches the block editor. Oh shoot, I don't want that, I cant see the underlying geometry or add parts to the working set. Ok, I'll just close this editor. Mouse over to the X in the upper right corner and click. $*#@! I forgot that that doesn't close the block editor, it closes the damned drawing! So I actually do get a do you want to save this drawing message, but stupidly I ignore that it says dwg not block, because after all I am in the block editor, the screen colors are changed the ribbons are different, mt tool palettes are hidden, so this must be a separate feature, right? NO, it is still your drawing it just looks like you are in a separate editor, all the other elements in your drawing are hidden, so why not disable the drawing close option as the edit in place does? I don't mind that there a ten ways to do something, but they should at least have consistent interfaces.

Ok, so it was my action that caused it, but that still doesn't explain the absence of autosaves and bak files.

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost