AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filename field in X-refs

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
zvoma
453 Views, 2 Replies

Filename field in X-refs

I am using an attribute with the field Filename in a drawing header. My problem is as follows:

1) If I save the drawing as test1.dwg (with the field Filename) the field automaticly updates to test1.dwg  (as it should do)

2) I Create a new drawing and save it as test2.dwg

3) I attach drawing test1.dwg as X-ref but the field in the X-ref (test1.dwg) updates to test2.dwg

is it possible to "lock" the value from test1.dwg so when I attach it to antoher drawing it will keep the original filename (test1.dwg)?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Victoria.Studley
in reply to: zvoma

Hi Zvonko,

The Filename field displays the filename of the primary drawing. So when you attach the XREF, the filename field within it will display the filename of the drawing to which the XREF has been attached, not the filename of the XREF itself.

There is another thread on this here, although it doesn't appear you'll be able to accomplish what you're trying to do using a filename field. There is a suggestion in that thread to use a hyperlink instead.

What is the main goal you're trying to accomplish here? Maybe we can come up with something else that will work. Depending on what you're trying to do, the suggestions in this post may also be helpful.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 3 of 3
zvoma
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

My maingoal with the desired procedure is that I want to use/attach multiple diciplines (architecture, structural, plumbing etc.) of drawings with different title blocks. In each title block my thought was to use automatic filenames because of the large number of drawings that are beeing processed and therefore very timeconsuming to update each time a drawing is changing name.

I havn´t had the time yet to review the reply completly but overall i doesn´t seem to solve the problem but i have to do som more research about it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost