AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

File Paths in Project navigator.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
383 Views, 3 Replies

File Paths in Project navigator.

My firm like many, uses a server for our projects. We have created a file folder protocall so that all projects are similar enough that you don't spend hours trying to figure out who put what where. We set our file default location in the options to point to the server and for the most part that is fine. The problem I am having is that everytime you open, close, save as, insert, etc., the file dialog box for each function either takes you where you last opened or saved from, or to some default location and rarely is it in the project you currently are working on.

I work around this in part by creating shortcuts to my projects that I then add as favorites to the dialog box. But some dialogs boxes like the xref manager, don't behave the same as file open and save. This is complicated further by the way non cad programs have their default file locations and the way that each OS works.

My question is, does anyone have experience with software or practices that would help to manage files better than just using the PN in a multi user, multi software, multi project environment?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
MarySeufert
in reply to: Anonymous

This is my solution. I have created a Library (Windows 7 feature, really just a 'My Documents' type folder) called Projects.  I create shortcuts in this folder to the server locations for each of my current projects. Then I add this to the 'Open drawing' dialog box. Just right pick in the shortcut area and pick add, enter the name you want it to have (Projects) and the folder path (C:\Users\*username*\Projects). You only have to do this in one, and it will be in all the dialog boxes that you mentioned.

The Library folder is available in non CAD programs as well.

I did the same procedure for XP putting the folder under My Documents, so if your OS is different, it is not a problem. ~ Mary

ProjectManagement.png

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: MarySeufert

Thanks Mary,

I have done everything you have except adding the "Library"  folder to the file dialog favorites window. Seems so simple, why didn't I think of that. I also add the short cuts to our file server, cad library, and other useful "top" level locations. But without the short cuts per project, you still spend allot of time drilling down to the folder you need.

Message 4 of 4
MarySeufert
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks go to my first CAD manager, who had this as a standard feature on his deployments. Good ideas propagate!

To decrease your duplications, you can maintain a single folder on your server with the shortcuts, and simply use that location for the 'Library' on each users machine.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost