AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

explode destoys the small block inside a bigger block

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mary.schmitz
947 Views, 11 Replies

explode destoys the small block inside a bigger block

I have a block containing several parts blocks. When I explode the main block all of the parts are exploded back to lines. I have used both "explode" and "xplode" and have the same results.  How can I explode so I have my components as blocks?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mary.schmitz

Have you tried REFEDIT? that will go into block editor in which you can subtract objects from that block, or add, remove lines etc...

Message 3 of 12
mary.schmitz
in reply to: Anonymous

I SUPPOSE I COULD REFEDIT. BUT THE EXPLODE EVEN EXPLODES RETANGLES TO LINES AND I WANT THE RECTANGLES. Mary Schmitz Design Technologist, Industrial Projects ATCO Structures & Logistics 115 Peacekeepers Drive SW Calgary, AB Canada T3E 7X4 Phone: (403) 662-8556 Fax: (403) 292-7601 Email: mary.schmitz@atcosl.com Website: www.atcosl.com PLEASE NOTE MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS "ATCO Structures & Logistics Ltd. strives for excellence and continuously improves its products and services based on customer requirements and recommendations." The information transmitted is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete or destroy this message and any copies.
Message 4 of 12

Not sure how your blocks are put together but when I explode a block that has other blocks within, I do not have this problem. It certainly does not explode polylines into individual lines. Maybe you have a lisp routine running that explodes everything? Maybe post a drawing with the block in question so other can check?

Message 5 of 12
tschau3
in reply to: leothebuilder

I've always used the BURST command.  All the nested blocks stay in tact.

Message 6 of 12
mary.schmitz
in reply to: tschau3

Thank you every one. I checked the original drawing from which the suspect parts blocks were taken. I found someone had exploded them already in the original. EXPLODE is working now after I did a complete shut down and cold boot. [Gremlins and a power failure can do some strange programming]. I will also try BURST. Again thank you. Mary Schmitz Design Technologist, Industrial Projects ATCO Structures & Logistics 115 Peacekeepers Drive SW Calgary, AB Canada T3E 7X4 Phone: (403) 662-8556 Fax: (403) 292-7601 Email: mary.schmitz@atcosl.com Website: www.atcosl.com PLEASE NOTE MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS "ATCO Structures & Logistics Ltd. strives for excellence and continuously improves its products and services based on customer requirements and recommendations." The information transmitted is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete or destroy this message and any copies.
Message 7 of 12
mary.schmitz

Thank you. Well done.  You got me to approach it from a different perspective. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: tschau3

I am having the same problem in AutoCAD 2014.

EXPLODE reduces everything in the block to plane geometry. Nothing remains of the nested blocks.

Following your advice I tried the BURST command. The result was the same as with EXPLODE.

I wonder what is going wrong. Is it anything to do with the settings of the commands?

I will greatly appreciate a solution.

Message 9 of 12
David_W_Koch

Perhaps the solution is the same as the original:  Are you certain the block reference you are exploding has any nested block references?

Can you attach a sample file in a reply to this thread for others here to examine?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 10 of 12
pendean

Is the block in question not uniformally to scale? X,y and/or z are not the same scale?
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks David Koch for your reply and for showing interest in solving my problem.

I am attaching a file containing the problematic block—"6in-StairsArrow_Resizeable2"

This is a dynamic block. It has 3 nested blocks, each of which is a dynamic block.

The three nested blocks are set as described below

1. The "5.5in Arrow Shaft" block is just a straight vertical line. I applied a vertical Dimension Constraint in the Block Editor so that the length may be changed via the Quick Properties dialog after inserting the block in the drawing.
  2. The "6in Arrow Head" block is a scalable arrow head with Point and Linear Parameters and Move and Scale Actions.
  3. The "UP_DOWN for StairArrow" block has just the two words "UP" and "DOWN" and a Visibility Parameter that controls the visibility of the two words alternately.

The main block "6in-StairsArrow_Resizeable2" has Move and Rotate actions for the whole block, Visibility Parameter for the Leaders and Labels, and Move Action for the "UP_DOWN for StairArrow" nested block.

This is a 2D block and the scale in the X and Y directions is 1:1.

I have tried to explain everything, and how I should like the block to behave, in the drawing itself too.

I find that the parameters and actions of the individual nested blocks are lost when these are integrated into the main block.

When I use EXPLODE or BURST, the main block "6in-StairsArrow_Resizeable2" reduces to plain geometry and text. Only the Leaders remain intact, everything else is lost. Even of the nested "UP_DOWN for StairArrow" the word DOWN, which is set as invisible initially in that block, is lost.

I will appreciate it if you would be kind enough to check it out and tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thank you very much.

Arif Khan

Message 12 of 12
David_W_Koch

DISCLAIMER:  I am no expert on dynamic blocks.  You may find better advice over in the AutoCAD Dynamic Blocks Discussion Group.

That said, when I looked at your dynamic block in the block editor, none of the nested components were block definitions, just lines, arcs, hatch and text, along with some multileaders providing instructions.  That is what you get when you explode the block, which is what I would expect to get.  From what I have read, you cannot nest one dynamic block within another and have the nested block remain dynamic, without exploding the outer block, so in this case you probably do not want to have nested dynamic blocks anyway.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost