AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

endcap style

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
lukearh
576 Views, 10 Replies

endcap style

Hello,

Plase help me with a solution for creating an endcap style for a gypsum board wall, with 2 layers on each side.

I have attached a file showing what the issue is. I want the endcap to be as example numbered with 1.

Can I create a style so that the wall looks like 2 and/or 3?

thank you

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dbroad
in reply to: lukearh

Its not like this is rocket science anymore.  Have you tried the endcap edit-in-place tools?  Pretty easy these days to edit an endcap in-place and assign it to a new name if necessary.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 11
lukearh

I am new to architecture features even though I work with acad since R14. It is not easy to accomodate with the workflow. So please can you explain in more details how to do it? I tried that before posting the first time. I click nesr endcap as I am required but nothing further happens.
Message 4 of 11
lukearh

For some reason when I try to edit in place my wall no grips are shown. On a wall allready on tool palette grips are shown and I understood what dbrosd said. What is wrong?
Message 5 of 11
dbroad

1)Read the help files to learn more.

2)Goof around with a file that you aren't worried about messing up.

3)See this video to get started (very short but should give you an idea)

4)I don't know why grips won't work on your station. (Probably not an ACA issue).  Try in a new drawing.

Message 6 of 11
lukearh

No, it is not an ACA issue and it is not the drawing either. In thevsame dwg wall I created won't show grips when endcap editing in place, while a wall fron default tool palette does.
Message 7 of 11
dbroad

Did you turn your grips off?  If so, don't turn them off again.  Try grips 2 .

Did you turn pickfirst off?  I think pickfirst set to 1 is necessary for using some ACA features.

Message 8 of 11
David_W_Koch

I am not certain why you would want to show the condition indicated for Case "2" or "3" at the end of every Wall (if I really cared about how the different GWB pieces were laid out, I would probably just show a single, typical detail), but I tried to create them, anyway.

I had partial success.  The "full wrap" of Case 1 is easy, once you know that you can make a segment of the polyline used to generate the endcap invisible by making it a non-zero width.  If you take Doug's suggestion and use the edit-in-place option, you can designate that a particular segment in the endcap profile be invisible.

For Cases "2" and "3" , I was only able to get one side to look the way you want.  I thought it might be possible to do what you wanted with overlapping endcaps, but it turns out that when a later component's endcap is drawn over an earlier component's endcap, it hides the crossing line.

In the attached file, I generated the polylines used to create the "5" endcap that was already on the Wall, so you could compare them to the ones I used for the "1", "2" and "3" endcaps.  I left a copy of the polylines used for those in the drawing as well.  In the sample segments, the "1", "2" and "3" endcaps are applies as instance overrides, not as part of the Wall Style.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 11
lukearh
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thank you verry much.

I cleared a lot of my issues studiing your drawing. It is clear now how it works. 

I have a question though: You drew 5 polylines for the endcap, 4 for the Gypsum and 1 for the component 3 (one segment polyline) Is this polyline needed, it is part of the endcap or is a leftover. I recreated the endcap with only 4 polylines and it was ok.

It remains the issue with edit in place. You can check on the attached dwg the problem. I tried all values for grips and pickfirst but no result. 2 walls side by side, one can be edited, other not. I screw something up when I created the wall style?

Message 10 of 11
David_W_Koch

I first learned endcaps back when the only method was to do them manually.  I suppose even then you would not have had to draw a polyline for any component that was going to be the equivalent of the "Standard" endcap, but I usually draw it, anyway.  You are correct in that it is not necessary.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 11 of 11
lukearh
in reply to: David_W_Koch

So anybody can give me a solution for no grips for endcap edit in place issue?

thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost