AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elec. Devices and Display Configurations...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Matasovsky
413 Views, 4 Replies

Elec. Devices and Display Configurations...

I've customized my Display Configurations in Architectural and Structural to use the Display range Below, Cut Plane, and Display Range above.  Everything appears to display the way I expect in these disciplines.

I move to Electrical and attempt to put a device into the model.  When I change my Display Configuration from a range on the first floor to a range on the second floor my devices (lights) are still visible.  I expected these to go away.  Presently I do not have a floor slab in place.  Is this the REAL issue?  Is the display of lighting on the first floor typically covered by the floor slab that makes up the second floor?  Or is there a way to set the visibility of the devices based on the display range of the display configuration?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ntellery
in reply to: Matasovsky

Not all items obey the cutplane like walls and embeded windows do.

Your method is not the recommended practise and it's not setup to support such a scheme.

However I have setup a custom scheme to do that but you also need to use layers to control some things display.  I have blogged on my MultiLevel in one file approach if it helps you to read how someone else did it.  I use a custom lisp file to control layers, display reps, elevation etc automatically (almost) at the same time.

Alternatively learn to use the PN but if it's for residential I think it's overkill.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 3 of 5
Matasovsky
in reply to: ntellery

We've got PN down.

As far as not being set-up to support the scheme, I'd like to get there w/ as much as possible.  From what I've done so far, Architectural and Structural seem to have NO problems doing this.  That helps for generating the building sections and elevations.

I haven't had a chance to explore Mechanical or Plumbing.  Just trying to push the limits to see what I can make ACA/MEP do.

We've begun researching Revit and as I find out how to do more and more w/ ACA/MEP, the less justification I find for upgrading at this time.  Not saying it's not in the future, but I'm finding between the shortfalls on the engineering side and how much I can get off ACA....it's hard to justify $2,000+ per machine x 22 licenses, in this business environment.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Matasovsky

re: The electrical content (& many others), are they not MultiView Blocks with anchors? MVB's which don't know about cut planes, but do respect Display Reps & Config's. This is a vaild approach to control the display of items in an AEC sheet drawing.

Message 5 of 5
Matasovsky
in reply to: Anonymous

The Electrical Content are Devices.  I have MVBs of a lot of interior things (casework, furniture, etc) but I haven't had a chance to test this yet.  I have NOT worked w/ anchors to a great degree yet.  Understand the concept, but have not had much practice myself, yet.

Devices don't seem to be respecting Display reps & Configs.  I'm noting you specifically say AEC sheet drawing.  Does this not apply in Construct or View files?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost