AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit in Place wall cleanup - mis-matching heights

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
derel
953 Views, 5 Replies

Edit in Place wall cleanup - mis-matching heights

I'm new too ACA and having an odd issue with a custom wall clean. I can edit the cleanup in place just fine and in plan all is good, but in 3D, the height of the modfied region is not the full wall height, just some random height. (See the attachment).  Can anyone explain what's causing this and how I can resolve the issue?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: derel

What version of ACA are you using?  I was able to reproduce your issue in ACA 2010.  I see at the right side of your image, it appears that you have some Walls that are lower than 10'-0" and which have had the cleanup modified.  Was the Wall at that lower height when you edited any of the cleanups?

Here is what I observed in a file that I created, which had one Wall at 10'-0" height with multiple perpendicular Walls along its length (all perpendicular Walls stopped at the justification line of the first Wall):

1.  With all Walls at a 10'-0" height, first cleanup edit of a perpendicular Wall resulted in the edited area at full-height (10'-0"), as did any subsequent cleanup edits.

2.  If I then dropped one (unedited) Wall to 8'-0", the cleanup edit stopped at 8'-0", and any subsequent cleanup edits, even on Walls 10'-0" high, also stopped at 8'-0".

3.  I experimented with other heights for the other Walls, and each new lower height became the default for the height of the cleanup edit portion.

4.  I found that if I went to a 3D view, when I tried to edit the Wall cleanup in place, I was prompted to "Select a point at cleanup to edit:".  If I picked this point at the top of cleanup edit of a Wall where the Wall was higher than the cleanup edit portion, the sketch lines would be at the top of the cleanup edit portion, and if I carefully repeated the previous editing, it would raise the height of the cleanup edit up to the next highest height.  (It appeared to remember all of the heights I had used, even after there was no Wall with an edit at that height.)

5.  I set up a second batch of Walls, similar to the first, except that this time I set one of the perpendicular Walls at a height of 8'-0"; all others were at 10'-0".  When editing the cleanup of one of the 10'-0" Walls, the cleanup area stopped at the 8'-0" height.  I could then move to a 3D view and do the edit a second time, from the 8'-0" level as noted in Item 4 above, the cleanup edit area went up to 10'-0".

Given what I saw in Item 5, I would say that the Autodesk response would be that this is "by design".  If you need to have multiple height Walls intersecting the "main" Wall, but you want the cleanup areas to be at the height of each perpendicular Wall, then only draw highest perpendular Wall(s) first, edit the cleanups of that one(those), then add the next highest perpendicular Wall(s) and edit that(those), etc., until all are done, unless you want to make multiple edits on the higher Walls.

If you go the multiple-edit route (since you already have them drawn, for example), be very careful when editing at the upper levels.  I had one Wall that I had to do multiple times because of all of the playing around I did, and I was doing it quickly and must have missed a precise snap, because the upper chunks started to get out of alignment and the result were quite funky, to say the least.  If it were for a project, I would have deleted that Wall and started over.

Good luck.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
derel
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks for the thorough response and help David.

I'm working in 2013 and would be happy to post my file if you have 2013.

I'm working on it now and comparing my results to your notes.  Although my screen shot may have looked as if some walls were at different heights, all of them are at 10'.  Originally I had a modified profile on the perimeter wall (as this structure steps down in elevation twice) but to troubleshoot I removed that profile, and even recreated a new one off to the side.

1. With regards to selecting the edit in place point in a 3D view; I selected a corner that had been modified already and was sure to select the top of the wall in the 3D view and sure enough the modify lines appear at the top of the wall. If I edit as I did the first time, the clean up continues up the wall, however it's not continuous (see the screen cap). You can see the horizontal line where the two edits meet, and they appear to select independently.

As for the height, with all 10' walls and the cut plane at 3'6" the chamfered area stops at 7'.

2. Following on #1 and the idea of what elevation I select to edit the clean up, I tried moving the cut plan to 10' (t/wall elevation) and when I attempt to edit in place I get and error messages stating that "the wall you have selected is not being cut by the Cut Plane".  If I repeat with the Cut Plan at 0 (b/wall elevation) the clean up again is fine in plan, but stops at 7' high.

I have not experimented any more with clean ups with two different wall heights; until I can get two walls of the same height to clean up correctly with some consistency I'm not concerned with it.

Any thoughts on how the height is being determined?  Almost all the time I choose the corner in plan view.

-David

Message 4 of 6
zionshea

Hello all,

I have the same issue.

Furthermore, I changed the width of the wall in a certain location, with Edit in Place wall cleanup (see picture), and when I locate a window, in that portion of the wall - the plan shows the window in the original wall width - looks like outside the wall (I know that I could build that wall portion, originally in the correct position).

Actually, as the cleanup height is not as the exast height of the wall - the plan always shows the original lines of the wall. this should not be displayed at all.

The question actually is: how can you specify the exact height (start - end) of the cleanup and how can you specify that the height should be as the exact size of the wall?

Please help - Thanks

Message 5 of 6
dbroad

Looks like a bug.  I would suggest using plan modifiers instead of using cleanup edit in place. Below is a cleanup edit-in place.  Below that is a cleanup using plan modifiers.

cleanupedit.png

planmod.png

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 6 of 6
mmaynard94

I'm having a similar issue. I'm just trying to cover the end of my CMU wall with the Brick Veneer of my stud wall. Sometimes it works (shown in on bottom), but sometimes it only edits a portion of the wall (shown in other images). Is there a setting I can change to guarantee that it will edit the entire height of the Brick and CMU? Or is this just a bug that I have to keep trying to get past?After Clean-Up 2D.PNGAfter Clean-Up 3D.PNGBefore Clean-Up.PNGDesired Effect.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost