AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG files dissapearing when being saved

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
pierre.fredriksson
501 Views, 2 Replies

DWG files dissapearing when being saved

Hello,

I'm new (currently 5 months) as an IT-admin at my workplace and I'm also new to the AutoDesk products.

Beginning:
In late June to early July I installed a new file server to replace the old one for one of our offices.
Since then, it seems, that some files dissapears when being saved at that office. Let's call it Office B.
At first I thought it probably was a end-user mistake but then it was demonstrated for me.
It happens when editing and saving some dwg-files that hasn't been edited for several months (pre the change of server).
Only a .bak file of the old version remains and the dwg file is gone.

Servers and setup:
We have 2 file servers, one at each office. They are running DFS-replication over a VPN-connection.
As mentioned before the office that experience the problem has a new file server that has replaced a old one. The old one is demoted and offline.
Both offices has it's own network drive for their projects.
The users are working on the network-drives pointing directly to respective office server.

Short example:

Office A's project files are being accesed directly from both offices through Office A's file server.
Office B's project files are being accesed directly from both offices through Office B's file server.

Operating systems:
Office A server - Windows server 2008 R2 SP1

Office B server - Windows server 2012 R2

Old Office B server was running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Sp2

Clients - Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

Software:

AutoCad Architecture 2012 - SP2

AutoCad Architecture 2014 - SP1

Important:
*Only dwg files has been reported missing. Other file types works fine.
*Problem does not occur to every dwg-file. Not even the old ones.
*Problem does not occur when restoring a affected file and retrying.
*Mostly happens in AutoCad Architecture 2012. One or two times it's been reported in AutoCad Architecture 2014.
*First reported problem was in late August.

This is the most similiar problem I've found searching the web: http://blog.microsolresources.com/2013/01/29/autocad-files-that-delete-themselves/
Though I'm not sure the solution is applicable because of the clients still being limited to the same SMB version since the change of server.

Someone having similiar problems?
I'm thankful for any tips on how to proceed or how to troubleshoot.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

"...DFS-replication over a VPN-connection..."
I would suspect this is your culprit: not set up correctly on the newer server.
Message 3 of 3

It is configured the same way it was on the previous server and it worked well. But I will take a look.

We now confirmed that the files are being saved when saving and they do appear with a new "Date modified" in explorer.

Which should mean that it was successfully saved on the file server?

When closing the file in AutoCad 2012 the dwg file disappears, sometimes when opening the file explorer in AutoCad to choose file.  Still it just happens to a few files.

We will reinstall AutoCad 2012 to see if it helps. We didn't consider reinstalling earlier since the problem occured on multiple users.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost