AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing file becomes write protected in Architecture 2014

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
mfhinc
7695 Views, 23 Replies

Drawing file becomes write protected in Architecture 2014

While working on a drawing in Archtecture 2014 the drawing file becomes write protected at times. I have saved the drawing while working on it, then at a seemingly random time I try to save the drawing and a message comes up saying the file is write protected.

Upon viewing the file in explorer, the read only attribute is selected. Upon de-selecting the read only attribute and then opening the file in Architecture it is fine, but I have lost the work since the previous save. Generally it seems to do this within the first hour of working on a drawing but not always.

Help would be greatly appreciated with this very annoying issue.

Thanks,

Mark

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
pendean
in reply to: mfhinc

Where is this file located? Is the problem one file or all files?
You are describing a read-only tag applied by your operating system/
Message 3 of 24
mfhinc
in reply to: pendean

All drawing files and program files are located on my local hard drive. This is a stand alone system/ license.

I run Windows 7 - 64bit pro.

The files that this happens to seem to be random, no one drawing file in particular. This has happened with multiple different drawing files and drawing sessions.

I will have a drawing file open and working on it, have saved it a number of times in the same session, and then continue working on it in that same drawing session, go to save it again and the 'file is write protected' box appears.

This never happened with Architecture 2013 or earlier.

I have applied the hot fixes listed on the Autodesk support site including the 'The code execution vunerability hot fix' but seemingly to no avail.

Message 4 of 24
pendean

From a search of the forums this appears to be a 2014 series quirk that is not yet cured with a fix.
Message 5 of 24
mfhinc

Great.

Well hopefully the powers that be moniter these forums and will work quickly on a fix.

If I start losing to much work at one time I may go back to 2013 but that in itself creates it's own difficulties.

Message 6 of 24
zalant

Indeed, we have a few cases about this and are looking into it.  In the meantime, try the following (one at a time):

• Set CACHEMAXFILES to zero
  • Log out of Autodesk 360 (if you're currently logged in)
  • Set the default DWG save format (in Options) to 2013 (if it isn't already)
  • Set AutoCAD to not create BAK file with each save
  • Set the location of your drawing files to not be included when Windows is indexing (for search capability)
  • Set UAC to its lowest setting for your version of Windows

The above items are only suggestions and you may not want to keep them all that way permanently, but for testing purposes, please keep them that way until you are satisfied that the problem either has still occurred, or would have occurred by that point.  

If this does continue happening, try performing a SAVEAS and give a different file name, so that you do not lose any work.  Once you close out of AutoCAD, you should then be able to give the original file a different name, and rename the new file with the original drawing file name.

if you get the chance, please post back here with your results.

Zac Travis
Message 7 of 24
mfhinc
in reply to: zalant

Zac,

I tried a number of the items on your list, one at a time, and here are the results:

Set CACHEMAXFILES to zero

This had no effect on the drawing file becoming read-only

Set the default DWG save format (in Options) to 2013 (if it isn't already)

This setting was already set to this and the problem persists.

Log out of Autodesk 360 (if you're currently logged in)

I logged out of Autodesk 360 and the problem has not re-occured. Although now upon starting a new day and remaining logged out of Autodesk 360, while editing a drawing file then saving, an error comes up  'you must be logged into Autodesk 360 in order to save a drawing' but the drawing was saved locally. Upon logging into Autodesk 360, and then trying to save the drawing the previous error 'drawing is write protected' comes back up.

Sounds to me like the issue is with Autodesk 360.

The other items on the list have not been tried yet. But with the issue aleviated with Autodesk 360 turned off the others may be futile efforts.

Message 8 of 24
mfhinc

This issue persists and is VERY annoying and frustrating.

I would think when I spend thousands of dollars on a professional software program that it would work especially when the previous version worked just fine but the subscription program decides that to justify the high costs that they must tinker with the program and hence mess things up.

This is unacceptable.

I should not have to save my work under a 'save as' different name in order not to lose work between saves. Again this is not acceptable.

Message 9 of 24
pendean

Look at the post above you: logging out of 360 seems to be the common cure. Try it first. If you did and it did not work, say so.

While not making excuses for anyone, when software is on an annual release and with only a handful of volunteers willing to beta test it, real problems only appear when 10s of thousands of users start using it 40+hours a week. This is one of those issues: with no SP1 for 2014 yet one would assume they are either working on it (or not) and until then it's hard to tell when it will be truly fixed.
Message 10 of 24
mfhinc

The post above my last post is mine also. The frustration level had just gotten to me.

If you look at my post it is true that turning off Autodesk 360 works ut further on in my post it reads that upon starting a new day and session of Autocad architecture with Autodesk 360 logged out of, then saving work done during a drawing session the message comes up twice in a row that the drawing cannot be saved because Autdesk 360 is not turned on. But in reality the drawing was saved to the local hard drive.

So I would venture to say that turning off Autodesk 360 does not work in totality. It too has quirks by doing that.

Besides to consistently remember to log out of a program that starts in the background is not always done, then the frustration begins.

Is there a way to uninstall Autodesk 360 so it is not visible at all until this is fixed?

BTW, I would think that a corporation that brings in hundreds of millions of dollars can afford beta testers that are not volunteers. And maybe Autodesk does not need to be on an annual release program, but that would make the subscription program less vialble for Autodesk.

Message 11 of 24
anthonyi

I totally agree, I am having this same problem with 2013, very frustrating and unacceptable, please advise on a fix as I am sick of 'saving as'

Message 12 of 24
pendean
in reply to: anthonyi

Do the ACA2013 patrches help? Are you logged into 360 (cloud sync)? Did you uninstall 360 (cloud sync)? Are your files on a server? can you repeat the problem with files on your own PC?
Is this a new problem? 2013 isn't exactly new.

'me too' does not help others trying to help you: expand please.
Message 13 of 24
mfhinc
in reply to: anthonyi

My situation only started with Autocad Architecture 2014. I did not have the issue when I was using 2013 BUT Autodesk changed Autodesk 360 with the new release of 2014, which I believe they then changed 360 for all releases and how it operates with Autocad and the vertical products.

Auotdesk has not addressed this issue as of yet.

The work around fix for me was to turn off Autodesk 360 and be sure to uncheck the box in 360 that says to start 360 when the computer is booted up.

Since turning off Autocad 360, I have not had any write protected issues.

It would be nice to use the cloud storage but not at the aggrevation level it has caused. I currently use Google Drive and/or Dropbox for any needed access to files but they are not as secure.

Message 14 of 24
gjcbachman

I am also having this problem in Civil 3D 2014 (in previous versions too). I'm not currently logged into Autodesk 360 and have never logged into it from this computer, so it doesn't appear to be causing this problem on my computer. I tried to uninstall 360 and it says it would leave my software unusable. Is there another way to "turn off 360"? I only see where I can sign in.

Lisa
Windows 10 Pro x 64 bit
Intel Xeon CPU @ 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro P2200
Civil 3D 2020
Message 15 of 24
info

Make sure the time on your machine matches the time on your server. We had the same problem with AutoCAD 2014 and simply matching the time seems to work. I think this is problem related to all Autodesk 2014 products that everyone seems to be having. Computers with a time discrepancy of less than 1 minute with the server seem to be immune to the problem.
Message 16 of 24
nicolenmark
in reply to: info

im having same issue in Civil 3D 2014. SUCKS!
Message 17 of 24
robbie_in_oz
in reply to: zalant

I'm using AutoCAD 2015 (Vanilla), and this write protected issue is also happening to me.

The files I’m working on, are saved on a network location.

One thing that I’ve noticed, is that this seems to happen when I leave drawings open and then put the computer to sleep, or if I leave the computer long enough for it to hibernate. When I come back, turn the computer back on, sign back in and resume work, this problem will occur as soon as I try to save.

The following messages are shown:

Unable to save drawing.png Drawing write protected.png

When you are working on a drawing file, AutoCAD creates 2 lock files (.dwl and .dwl2) to prevent anyone else from working on the same file simultaneously. When you finish making changes to the drawing file and close it, AutoCAD automatically deletes these files, allowing others to access that file.

The issue seems to be, that AutoCAD doesn't recognise that you are the same user, who originally started working on the drawing file, before your computer went to sleep or hibernated. Those lock files (.dwl and .dwl2), won't allow you save any changes.

To prevent this from happening, you need to make sure that you save and close any open files, before you put your computer to sleep or allow it to hibernate. Else, the only other way around the problem that I'm aware of, is the "SAVEAS" method.

Hopefully Autodesk comes up with a solution, as it can get pretty annoying. However, it seems like this issue has been around for some years now.

Message 18 of 24
katylodge92

I keep having the same problem when trying to save my file I have worked on it often at random comes up saying it is write protected and so I have to keep re saveing it as a different name and then changing the name later.

Does anyone know if this problem still occurs in the 2015 Autocad version?

Thank you

Message 19 of 24
robbie_in_oz
in reply to: katylodge92

Yes, the write protection issue, still occurs in the 2015 versions.
I have the "product design suite ultimate 2015", under subscription. So it's up to the latest updates. And, it still happens!!!
As far as I've read up, it's been happening since 2011/12, and nothing's been done about it.

Sent from Rob's iPhone
Message 20 of 24
anthonyi
in reply to: robbie_in_oz

I still havent been able to resolve this problem, absolutely frustrated considering its such a fundemental issue ! not happy with AutoDesk not dealing with this !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost