AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing elevations in autocad architecture

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
baz88
12912 Views, 4 Replies

Drawing elevations in autocad architecture

Can autocad draw elevations automatically from your floorplan like archicad does?
In archicad you draw the floor plan and archicad automatically draws the elevations and sections for you, can you do the same in autocad? I know with the old autocad you cant but what about the newer editions?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: baz88

AutoCAD-Architecture old or new, but not plain AutoCAD old or new, has been
doing that for over quite some time now.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 5
baz88

Ah that makes sense. I used normal autocad and that didnt do and only just downloaded autocad architecture. Where exactly are the elevations drawn? How can i access them? In archicad there is a window listing each level and each elevation, does autocad have something like that? I prefer using autocad, i find it easier to use.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Autocad and Autocad architecture are different products.
Not sure where you downloaded from ? but have a look at the tutorials
included in the product help.

in ACA you build a model like archicad but the elevations are not so
automatic.
You can simply setup viewports to 'look' at the model from sideviews ( I do
this for quick design presentations) setting your viewport to plot hidden
but the proper method is to use elevation tools to create a 2d elevation
snapshot of the model which allows greater control over the elevation
lineweights etc.

The project Navigator is used to create levels in different files.
Myself I now use a one file approach for multistorey as it solves a number
of issues working across multiple files however that depends on the size of
your project. File size could get pretty big.

--
Nathan
www.ausaca.blogspot.com
http://ausaca.blogspot.com/search/label/Roof

wrote in message news:6390720@discussion.autodesk.com...
Ah that makes sense. I used normal autocad and that didnt do and only just
downloaded autocad architecture. Where exactly are the elevations drawn?
How can i access them? In archicad there is a window listing each level and
each elevation, does autocad have something like that? I prefer using
autocad, i find it easier to use.
Message 5 of 5
baneVader
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm not an expert on Acad but..

Works in acad architecture 2009

1. Draw your floor plans

2. select an interior elevation call out tool from the document tool palette (open the palette, right click the border of the palette and select document). either a 4 way one or a 1 way one. Make sure ortho is on unless you want an angle view.

3. click inside the room where you want to take the elevation of and select the direction by dragging a little ways and clicking

4. Set some parameters in the dialog box that comes up (I would start with 2d section). make sure "generate section" is selected

5. Click "same drawing" this will place the elevation in the drawing you're in now. when you click same drawing it takes you back to the model and asks you if you have a region or press return to draw your own. hit return and then you will draw a rectangle around the wall(s) you want to section/elevation

6. then click the place in the drawing you want the section inserted and if asked, draw a small line to tell it how far apart you want multiple elevations to be from each other if you used the 4-way call out. It might have you confirm the default 10' height of the elevations first

don't worry if you drew the section rectangle wrong or if you missed a wall feature, you can edit the elevation lines in plan, and regenerate the elevation by right clicking on the elevation

I've found the 4-way elevation call out tool works great, but the 1-way one works better if you have problems regenerating changes in the plan

you can erase the elevation call out symbol with no loss of effect if you want to use a different one, or if you forgot to set the scale

the cyan colored elevation lines are on a non printing layer

if you erase the elevation lines in plan, the elevation can not be automatically updated anymore

The elevations can be edited by right clicking and choosing edit lines

there are different elevation styles that are available in properties so you can change an existing elevation to a different style

there's a way to change how doors look if they open in or out of the wall

this seems hard because the way I wrote this, but it's really easy because I do it all the time and I'm a novice

depending on what tool you selected the steps may be slightly different

There is another, smarter way to do this, using the project manager and dedicated elevation sheets

you can move the elevations around and they still will update if you change the model (or edit the elevation lines in plan) and regenerate the elevation by right clicking it

from memory

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost