AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doors detaching from walls

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2740 Views, 14 Replies

Doors detaching from walls

On one of our drawings all of the doors (aparently except for one) detached from their host walls.  The doors were still in their places, but un-anchored.  We can go through and re-anchor them, but that's a lot of work, especially since they get shifted to the point on the wall you pick to re-anchor them.

1) Is there an easy way to re-anchor them to their original location?

2) What caused this (so that we can avoid this in the future)?

Thanks,

Joe

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
TRCadmin
in reply to: Anonymous

This exact same thing just happened to me.  Doors and Windows... every single one in the same location, every single one no longered anchored to its host wall.  Any help any of you may have would be... very helpful.  And if you're wondering, it happened whilst I was editing my xref drawing from within another drawing.  (I rarely do this, and it looks like maybe now, I'll never bother doing it.)

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 15
TRCadmin

Ok so, not an immediate fix, but defintely better than using the "anchor to wall" option for every single door/window.

If you use the command line command "anchor" you get a whole host of options to anchor.  If you choose object, it will let you pick multiple entities and then what entity you want to anchor it too.  In this case, if you have a string of doors along a wall you can pick all the door on that wall only, then hit enter/right click and select that wall.  It will anchor all of the doors to the wall in the same position they were always in.  It's still pretty tedius, but definetly faster and more streamlined that doing them all individually and repositioning them.

I'll post more as I decipher this condundrum.  Hopefully this won't be the last post.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Does anyone know what causes this? We have a project that this keeps happening in. It's happened several times in an existing plan construct. Today it happened in the new building construct for the same project. It has been happening so often in the existing construct that I have been saving an extra copy of it elsewhere to replace the file with when it does happen. But for it to now happen in our new building construct on a large project is extremely frustrating and I would really like to figure out what is causing it. 

Is it the editing an xref in place command? I only have one user who does that.

Message 5 of 15
sgrinavi

I'm figthing a tight job with that issue right now, the ANCHOR command is helpful, but doesn't solve the issue.  You get through re-anchoring your project, but it does not fix the problem as it contiues to randomly occur.    There's all sorts of wierd things that go along with it - 

Opening that go to the floor behave like the bad doors

Some windows

Some window/door units

No rhyme or reason to it.  My particuar project has two layouts on one DWG and one of them has the issue the other doesn't

As for the cause?  I dunno, all I can say is that I have not edited this file as an xREF in place.  I went back and looked at a file that I had done that with and it does not have the problem.....

ACA 2012 has been the buggiest release I have used to date.....

Message 6 of 15
jliston

I have had this problem with windows. One window i could not get to anchor. I tried replacing the wall, reinserting the window and resetting the within wall location. No Joy. I tired using several different windows styles and different wall styles. In just this one location it would not anchor. I could mover the wall 6" left ot right and the window would anchor. Go figure.

IMHO that is a serious issue(bug?)

Message 7 of 15
sgrinavi
in reply to: jliston

@jliston That's reaally interesting that you can move your wall a few inches either way and have it fix the issue.  Do you think that there's an object (perhaps not visible) above, or below, your view plane that't causing the problem?

In my case I copied my model to a blank drawing and still had the issue and it doesn't seem to matter where I move it.

Even after the doors are re-anchored (with the anchor command) look at the weirdness I am experiencing (see attached .jpg)  WTH is that dashed line?  It goes away if I click on the handle

Message 8 of 15
jliston
in reply to: sgrinavi

I erased all walls and doors in that area, checked all display settings, checked the 3D view to see if something was above or below. No problem there. Still it had the issue with that particular area of the drawing. I tried starting a new drawing and using the same space and coordinates and did not have that problem. Interesting.

As for your drawing, the dashed line is the anchor line. It can be turned off in display reps. And can you check and see what the offset within walls setting is. It might be offset from the wall center or one of the edges.  HTH

Joe

Message 9 of 15
sgrinavi

Very strange behavior, for sure.

My anchor lines are turned off and I don't get that dashed line in the doors and openings are are behaving.   Uggg....  The half a day it's going to cost me to re-do the drawing is annoying, but I don't want to spend the time until I figure out what's causing the problem.

Message 10 of 15
jliston

I understand about the lost time. We dont get paid to track down issues with the software. We get paid to produce an end product. I lost about 25 hrs on the last project I produced with ACA 2012. I tried Revit and it was not any better. Oh Well.

Did you check the lines on a by object level? Just a thought

Joe

Message 11 of 15
pkolarik

Has anyone found a solution to the original question of why the doors and windows unachored themselves?

On Friday I opened a drawing I'd done back in July. Every single one of the 8 or so doors and windows on this building floor plan unachored themselves except the one that someone had added in August of last year.

The drawing was done on ACA 2011, she'd added the okay door in ACA 2012, so I thought that might be the issue.

I fixed all the unachored doors and saved and had her add a door in ACA 2012 again, but that didn't cause the others to become unachored, so that doesn't appear to be the reason.

The command line "anchor" command would make it easier to re-anchor all the offending doors, but I need a way to keep this from happening in again in the future.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 15
sgrinavi
in reply to: pkolarik

I've not found an answer nor can I duplicate the problem.  It seems to happen at random.  Maybe it's a version issue, but I had it happen back on ACA 2010 ( I think )

Message 13 of 15
pkolarik

Yeah, we're unable to force it to occur here either. It was just on that one xref file and just that one time so far....

Message 14 of 15
tdhauck

I have the same problem. Doors, windows and openings detaching from walls. What is causing this and how do I stop it? We too do not get paid to fix software. I am watching my hourly budget get blown out by this BUG!

Message 15 of 15
mchristop
in reply to: tdhauck

I know this is a very old thread, but it appeared to need an answer to a question.

This used to happen to me and I discovered that it was caused by editing the drawing that contained the doors and windows by (edit xref in place.)

I don't know if this problem has been fixed, but to this day I won't attempt to edit xref in place if I know the drawing has doors/windows in it...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost