AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Tags won't update

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
designman1275
563 Views, 4 Replies

Door Tags won't update

When I tag objects I can usually go back to the base file and change the object number or type and the tag on the view updates automatically. This works fine in most drawings for doors and wall tags. I have a few drawings for some reason I can not get the tag to update to what the base file is. My view drawing is "Enlarged - 3 BD TA" and the base file is "3 Bedroom Unit Type A" (see attached). You can see in the base file that I changed the door "Number" under “Property Sets” to several numbers besides 00, but when I open the view it does not update. Please Help!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

What version of ADT/ACA are you using?

Are you working with the Drawing Management feature (Project Browser/Project Navigator)? If so, then property data overrides should be getting placed at the appropriate level for object-based Property Sets (the Construct level). If not, have you checked to see if you are getting property data overrides placed in your "view drawing"? If so, changes to the property values in the base file will not be reflected in the "view" file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5

I am using ACA 2008 and I am using the project navigator. It seems to be working fine for constructs, but will not work for elements. The first time I make the tag in the view drawing it grabs the property set information from the xrefed element, but later if I make changes to the element drawing it will not update in the view drawing. I am thinking that it may have something to do with elements. Any ideas?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: designman1275

I believe that is the intended behavior since elements are supposed to
be repeating items (or at least are designed to be able to be).
Overrides to the property data will exist in the view file so that
manual properties can vary by instance.

John

designman1275 wrote:
> I am using ACA 2008 and I am using the project navigator. It seems
> to be working fine for constructs, but will not work for elements.
> The first time I make the tag in the view drawing it grabs the
> property set information from the xrefed element, but later if I make
> changes to the element drawing it will not update in the view
> drawing. I am thinking that it may have something to do with
> elements. Any ideas?
Message 5 of 5

In the Project Navigator environment, property data lives in the Constructs. If you set up an Element that has a Door in it, and place it in a Construct, when you tag that Door, a property data override is placed on the externally referenced instance of that Door in the Construct file. That is done so that if you use the Element multiple times, each externally referenced instance of that Door will be seen as a separate Door, with its own property values.

The above holds for properties in object-based Property Sets. If you have a property that should be the same for all instances of a Door of a particular style, put the property in a style-based Property Set. You will then be able to change the value once, on the Style, and it will change for all Doors of that style. Unfortunately, if your goal was to have a property that you could set for a Door in an Element that would apply to all instances of that Door when externally referenced into Construct(s), but that could be different for other Doors of the same style, that is not possible. You would have to decide whether the overhead of creating and maintaining a unique style for that Door would be worth being able to control property values at the style level.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost