AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Configurations (Roof Plan)

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
cadtastrophe
1203 Views, 22 Replies

Display Configurations (Roof Plan)

I didn't expect this to be a problem, I simply want a new Display Configuration for our roof plans. I would like only walls to show up (no windows / doors / openings). I have created a roof configuration, a roof set and have made sure doors / windows & openings are not checked anywhere yet I still get headers showing (its not a cut plane issue either). Isn't there an easy way to simply say I never want to see doors / windows in a roof plan?
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Libbya
in reply to: cadtastrophe

Turn the window and door layers off.

Andrew
Message 3 of 23
cadtastrophe

Nope!
Message 4 of 23
Libbya

Ok, you like to over-complicate things...

You can make sure that windows and doors DO have a representation in the display set you want to use for roof plan configuration. Then in that configuration go to the windows and doors and set all styles to the drawing default and turn off all components in the drawing default.

Andrew
Message 5 of 23
cadtastrophe

I meant nope that did not change anything. It seems that the check marks don't change anything either. seems to me that if go to display mgr and take the check out of the door then the door would not show up. Oh well catch ya later I'm awfully busy making this complicated at the moment

Jeff null
Message 6 of 23
Libbya

I turn off windows and doors all the time by simply turning off the layers that they are on. I don't see why that isn't working for you. How about posting a simplified file.

Andrew
Message 7 of 23
cadtastrophe

Here ya go. I know Im close I just cant seem to find what Ive missed. Its the first time Ive created a custom display configuration. Followed Aubins instructions in the AIG. Really just want a roof display config users can easilly use in P/N
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

FYI...

I've found the easiest, and best way to produce a Roof Plan (for output)
is to customize a 2D Section/Elevation Style for this purpose,
and then switch to a "Front" vierw of your Building Model,
and place the Section/elevation line that way,
and then switch back to World UCS and generate the 2D elevation Object of
your Model From above.

Makes a Roof Plan.

Solves lots of finicky display issues with hiding/controlling the display of
various desing elements...

--
CoreyL
www.cadaptation.com
Message 9 of 23
Libbya

First, go to the display manager and expand "configurations" and click on roof. On the right, change the top view to display "roof" display set. Then on the left expand "Sets" and click "roof". For walls, uncheck "model" and "plan" (you're currently displaying those along with "roof"). Next go to the "representations by object". Expand wall, click on "roof". On the right, turn off all lightbulbs. Do the same thing for windows. Viola!

Andrew
Message 10 of 23
Libbya

And set your cutplane so it intersects the walls and openings you want to show.

Here's your file back.
Message 11 of 23
Libbya

Also, it appears that you CAN go to representations by object, click on doors and on the right uncheck the box that intersects "roof" and "roof". Then do the same for windows and neither should ever show.

Andrew
Message 12 of 23
cadtastrophe

Hmmm, ok. It appears that this might suit our needs... we'll give it a shot. Thanks also Corey for the alternative solution, I think I will try and get my head around it and try that as well to compare.

Thanks!

Jeff
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

...makes a roof plan that must be refreshed, but yep, that's the way I do roof plans too. My wish is for a display configuration that does the same thing as a 2D Section/Elevation style, i.e., does a true orthogonal projection of everything visible, with obscured lines hidden, etc...
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

AECHORIZONTALSECTION

That way you don't even have to switch to a front view.

Corey A. Layton wrote:
> FYI...
>
> I've found the easiest, and best way to produce a Roof Plan (for output)
> is to customize a 2D Section/Elevation Style for this purpose,
> and then switch to a "Front" vierw of your Building Model,
> and place the Section/elevation line that way,
> and then switch back to World UCS and generate the 2D elevation Object of
> your Model From above.
>
> Makes a Roof Plan.
>
> Solves lots of finicky display issues with hiding/controlling the display of
> various desing elements...
>
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

"James Upton" wrote in message
news:5968441@discussion.autodesk.com
>AECHORIZONTALSECTION

Oh,
you're *good*,
Mr. James Upton.

very good....

Thanks!

--
CoreyL
www.cadaptation.com
Message 16 of 23
cadtastrophe

Dude! or more like duuuuuude!
(so the secrets out I'm in Ca.)
That is tremendous!!!

I think I will shut down go home and have a great weekend.
Message 17 of 23
Libbya

I've accomplished very similar by simply setting the viewport to use the "model" display for the top view and setting it to plot as "hidden". Better IMO because it updates real-time.

Andrew
Message 18 of 23
cadtastrophe

I love this, thanks for the great input, there were several great work arounds. I for one could use any of these but the question remains when will these folks realize that buildings (at least the ones we design) have roofs. Therefor it stands to reason that functioning roof objects as well as a roof display configuration might reasonably be expected to be standard equipment!?! Oh well.... I don't really want to re-open that can of worms. Thanks to all who offered up solutions here, this is a great forum because of folks like you...well except libby's little zinger about making things complicated 🙂

Thanks,

Jeff
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

wrote in message
news:5969864@discussion.autodesk.com
>little zinger about making things complicated 🙂

I've got to admit,
in comparison of the 2 (competing?) products:

Revit's method of generating a roof object from a 2-d sketch,
is *far* superior to ACD-A's Roof Slabs.
It's fairly easy to understand the creation workflow,
and fairly easy to modify after placement.

--
CoreyL
www.cadaptation.com
Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

It works as long as you don't have annotation in the same model space. Otherwise text (TTFs) and call-out tags can be printing funny in Hidden mode.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost