AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Tags - Text Orientation

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
FitzUS
939 Views, 15 Replies

Custom Tags - Text Orientation

I've created a custom schedule tag that has two lines of attributes, each formatted with Middle Left justification.  I've created a tool in a palette that uses this tag with a simple leader.  All works fine when the tag is placed to the right of the leader. 

However, if I wish to insert a tag that is left of the leader the tag overwrites the leader and I must manually relocate it.  I tried mirroring the tag but the end effect displays the tag as if I rotated it 180, instead of a mirror image.  I did notice that if the tag was mirrored over a line that was at 95 degrees or larger the text in the tag appeared upright.  If the anchor is edited manually using the properties box and set the rotation angle to 180 everything appeared fine.

I can only think of the way to work around this is to create another tool that uses a duplicate tag with Middle Right justification and select accordingly.  Is there a more elegant solution that one could offer.  I don't see a way to set the anchor to 180 within the palette.

Thanks,

Tom

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
dbroad
in reply to: FitzUS

Two sets of tags will work fine.

If you just need a single tag, put an enclosing object around the text (it can be on defpoints or an off-layer if you don't want to see it or plot it.).  Put the insertion point dead in the middle of the tag.  When placing the leader, if using more than 1 leader segment, make sure the last segment is more than half the width of the tag.  The leader will trim at the enclosing object.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 16
FitzUS
in reply to: dbroad

Thanks for the tip. I also want the tags to be left and right justification depending on their location so it looks like I will have to make to sets of tags.

Tom
Message 4 of 16
FitzUS

DBroad-

Well I tried making the two MVBlock definitions and two palette tools, one for left justification, the other right justified.  All seems to work fine except when I used the right justified version a gap between the last leader point and the insertion point appears.  This gap seems change depending on the object tagged. 

Untitled.jpg

Can you tell me what might be causing the gap?

Thanks,

Tags (2)
Message 5 of 16
David_W_Koch

That is odd.  I tried a similar thing (imperial units) using the out-of-the-box Annotative (Leader) Dimension Style for the leader.  The specified text offset is 1/32", which at 1/8" = 1'-0" would be 3".  On the left-justified tag, I have a gap of 1.236" from end of leader to insertion point of the tag (the insertion points of the attributes showing the room name and area are directly above and below the tag insertion point).  On the right-justified tag, I have a gap of 4.985" from end of leader to insertion point of tag.

At first, I thought it might be a shift of the bounding box, with the total offset being 6", but the total is actually more than 6", so I have no clue as to why the offsets are different.  Do the view blocks for your tags have any other geometry in them, other than the attributes?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 16
FitzUS
in reply to: David_W_Koch

David-

Yes I do have a horizontal line on defpoints that is one unit long.  I use it to align the leaders as it is easier to pick than insertion osnap.

I did a little sample drawing that shows my issue.  I placed tags with leaders in them keeping the distance between my 2nd and 3rd leader points consistent at 3000mm.  I also tried using different angles and scales and it is a consistent gap, see below:  I will also attach the drawing if you care to dig further.

Right now this is a nuisance issue but it would be nice to know what may be causing the different results.  I may have to go back to DBroad's solution but I'd still have two MVBlocks to get the alignment I want.

Untitled.jpg

Message 7 of 16
FitzUS

Dbroad-

I have to take back my solved note.

I tried what you suggested and I get the same gap as before.  See below. 

Untitled.jpg

Message 8 of 16
David_W_Koch

Are you placing the tags first (without leaders), and then adding the leaders after the fact?  If so, are you using Leaders or MLeaders?

In looking at tags being placed via a Toolpalette tool, with the leader option in the tool turned on, it appears that the placement of the tag does not use the Text offset value set in the Dimension Style.  Changing that value has no effect on subsequently placed tags.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 16
FitzUS

I copied the wall tag tool from the tool palette to use as a starting point for a tool for this purpose.

Here are the settings I am currently using:

Untitled2.jpg

Message 10 of 16
FitzUS

I also noticed that when the value of the attribute, in this case NAME and AREA, change the gap changes. The longer the text string the longer the gap created. If I eliminated the NAME and shrunk the hatch to 1sf the gap almost entirely disappears.

There must be some offset boundary that stops the leader from extending to the insertion point of the TAG. Odd that it does not do this with the left justified TAGs.

Message 11 of 16
David_W_Koch

Looks like it is allowing for the width of the tag (which it would need to do if the attributes were left justified but you were pulling the leader from the right side), not realizing that the insertion point is on the right side of the block.  Strange, as it did not do that to me in my test file.  I cannot imagine that Imperial and Metric unit files would behave differently in this regard.  Color me confused.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 12 of 16
FitzUS

I wonder if it is because of some legacy information. I created the right justified TAG version by inserting the left justified and exploding it down to the attribute definitions then changing the location and justification.

However I think this still became a problem when I created a test version from scratch. Sometimes I try all sorts of permutations and I lose track of what variations I've tried.

Thanks for your input.
Message 13 of 16
dbroad

Sorry, no credit for a solution and no kudos.  Oh well.

It is possible that this behavior is version dependent and it is possible that it may have been fixed in a service pack. Make sure your service packs are loaded.  I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2014 here.  Using the create tag command on the annotation tab with text at 1" high and a bounding box, both middle left and middle right justification seem to work here.  I did try it on a later version and had some problems myself.  The leader is stopping at the bounding box for the objects here. In some cases it does appear to have issues.

Whenever the create tag command doesn't work, reinserting the block, exploding the block, shrinking the block back so that the text is 1" high and then adjusting the locations of the attributes seems to work.  There is a distinction between how text objects and attribute objects code their alignments.  It is possible that AutoCAD Architecture is misreading the alignment data when calculating the bounding box.

Attached is an example file that shows that my method works.  Getting it to work for yourself might require some patience.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 14 of 16
FitzUS

I feel a little stupid admitting this but I do not have Service Pack 1 installed.  I'm currently working remotely on my laptop and it appears I need to be connected to the work network to get it to install.

I'll do it next week and let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks.

Message 15 of 16
GeorgeMoody

hi there. did you ever get a resolution to this? i am having the same issue...on top of the gap issue, my centerline symbol is coming in as a square. RESULT = "\U+2104" + "[COP-Offset-Calculation]" this is my setting...Capture.PNG

Message 16 of 16
GeorgeMoody

so what was your resolution to this issue? ive been going crazy over this for a while now. my right justified tags have a gap when drawn with a leader. i noticed that when i use a single line font there is no issue. i am not using a hatch, so can you please explain how to fix this issue? where do you adjust the area? thank you.tag.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost