AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Glass Block Window? Assembly? Curtain Wall?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
BBP-Arch
2063 Views, 1 Reply

Custom Glass Block Window? Assembly? Curtain Wall?

I have to re-create the attached window. Because of it's unusual shape I'm stumped as to what I should make it out of.... I've got a glass block wall style (that I think I got from this Newsgroup some years ago) but I'm not sure how you would clip it and add trim, etc... Should it be a window? I'd like to add this to the window schedule if possible.

Thanks for any sugguestions....

Scott

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BBP-Arch

How detailed/accurate do you need this to be.  Will you be fully modeling this, for use in rendering, or will you only need something that schedules and has an appropriate display in plan (and elevation?)?

You can use a Profile to get the shape, and apply that to a Window or a Door/Window Assembly.  The latter would allow you to create a thick simple panel, which might be enough for a plan view (particularly for an existing window) and to which you might be able to attach a render material that would give you the glass block look in a rendering.  Getting the glass block linework for an elevation view is not too hard, just turn on the Surface Hatch component for the Material Definition assigned to the infill component.  If single lines are enough, a User Double hatch at 4" (or whatever the nominal dimension of your glass block is) should work.  That linework does not show in the Realistic or Conceptual Visual Styles (but does for Shaded).  If your Glass Block Wall Style has a render material for glass block, perhaps you can repurpose that for the Material Definition for the infill component.

The attached file was done in ACA 2015, and is a rough attempt at a Door/Window Assembly Style that looks something like your image, but without a proper glass block render material, just the Surface Hatch.  I also just have a simple 2" wide frame; you could use a profile on the frame or otherwise modify the Door/Window Assembly style to more closely match the frame in your image.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost