AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom 5 Panel Door

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
BBP-Arch
2135 Views, 5 Replies

Custom 5 Panel Door

ACA 2011

So, I have two different doors that I want created: 1) A 5 panel slider where all panels slide to the same side.  2) A 5-panel accordian (bi-fold, per se) door where all panels fold up to the same jamb.  I've successfully drawn them in plan, attached them to the door style and then turned off the panel & swing of the original door style, and it looks fine in plan. I can schedule it and all is good. BUT it's not real, and not in 3D. How do I create these so they can look right in an extracted elevation? Plus, it would be good if the "opening percentage" had an effect on it as well.

Am I asking for more than the program can handle?

Thanks, Scott

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: BBP-Arch

I am not aware of a way to make the opening percentage affect custom graphics.  As for the elevation (and, if necessary, section and 3D view) graphics, you will need to add custom blocks to the appropriate Display Representations.  To get separate graphics for front/back elevations and left/right elevations (section), you would either have to have a 3D block that generated the desired graphics (if possible) or two separate 2D blocks.  The latter would require tweaking the Display System, which out-of-the-box has one Display Representation for all for "elevation" view directions.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
ntellery
in reply to: BBP-Arch

I've done the same thing for 3 panel, 5 panel & 7 panel doors.

I've created a 3D block for a glazed door attaching my standard materials for frame and glass.  

I've then placed that door in 3, 5 & 7 door position and created Blocks of each in Closed, 60d 90d positions.  Placing a 'point' on the defpoints layer within each block at total width (as per closed position) and top & bottom allows to use the 'scale to fit' option tick box for width and height in the style.

Then I've inserted all these blocks into seperate Door styles and used the same blocks for all views rather than create different blocks for different views.  So in plan view, it's showing my 3d blocks.  Disadvantage is it shows the glass componant as well rathar than a clean rectangle panel but I will live with it.  If you can't, create a different view for Plan with just rect panel.

In say a 5 door style, in plan view the 90d block is turned on whilst the others 90/60/closed are turned off (or not attached).  The reason I have the extra opening blocks available as options is I can change on the fly if necessary rather than having to attach each time.  This gives similar flexibility in lieu of the opening setting 

Say I want to do a 3D render of a large opening door and I want to show the doors open, but one section at 90d, another at 30d, I can override a particular door or by style quickly and efficiently.

As with any block attached in this way. the block will distort when stretched to match a size but to me this is acceptable as the doors have a range anyway.  ie. 3 doors to certain width, over that would be a 5 door. 

HTH's

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 4 of 6
leothebuilder
in reply to: ntellery

Nathan, would you share this custom door aca file so I can see how to put this together....thanks  (ACA 2012 version)

Message 5 of 6
ntellery
in reply to: leothebuilder

Hi Leo, sorry can't save back to 12 version but I've posted an image to show my mad process.  Hopefully it's clear.

(The complication of adding opening options allows me to run a quick render or view with opening doors.  It may even be a temp. switch for the image.  It's now quick enough to do)

Step1 Create a typical block of a glazed (or not) door.  It's going to distort as it's stretched so a couple of issues occur.  ie. Sizing glass to frame, you will get gaps as the door stretches.  Maybe stretch glass most of the way inside the frame but then might look odd in section.  Try to assume average door size for best fit.  !!! Could use an actual door with frame turned off and with a profile for glazing.  I would think it will still distort.

Creating a single door as a block allows easier editing down the track. Say if you wanted to change it to panelled, 10 lite, no glass doors, you only have 1 door block to change - copy style to new file. Rename blocks used and style, make changes and you can bring back into original drawing as new style.

Step2. Assemble into various grouped blocks to suit as required. Not thought about furniture. Hard to attach to opening doors.

Step3. Create styles, I've used a std door object using the pass through door type. Could easily use other types and turn off bits.

Add all the blocks so they are always available, rather than having to add them if you need them. (*1)

Add to each disp rep you use and turn off the ones you don't need (they are now easily available if required).

You can see I discovered I had accidently used the '5' series blocks instead of the '7'. Fixed!

Other trick is getting the insert point correct. As with lots of ACA, you kinda figure it out after you created it all where the point should be. I've marked a couple with red dots.

*1 I've realised this could be really useful concept.  ie. Cabinet doors. Insert several styles and turn off except most popular. Then if you need to change, it's already inserted and just needs to be turned on and std one off. rather than having to mess with it each time on the fly.  This idea has many applications.

This technique could be applied to lots of situations.

One more thing.  My standard windows & doors have my own std materials attached.  Here the frames would be alum. so I've used the window materials of WindowFrame and WindowGlass.  So for the door block, I use a Mass Element and apply an object override (no need for a style) to just the material tab and to each apply those materials. That way they will just follow everything else in my drawing and don't need attention.

(As I suggested, rather than use a ME I could use a door style special with the frames set to 0 and turned off. Might be better and you can see I could easily change just 1 door block and it will update the whole series in one hit).

HTH's.  Let me know if anything is unclear.

cheersBifoldDoorOptions.png

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 6 of 6
leothebuilder
in reply to: ntellery

Thanks Nathan,

I did some more experimenting yesterday and got it to work.

Made the mistake of not saving the d/w assembly style and door styles to seperate styles first so the changes I made applied to all doors in the project.

Had to start over again, but it was easier and quicker the second time around!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost