AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Tag and add to Tool Palettes

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
xEndlessxUrbiax
1187 Views, 4 Replies

Create Tag and add to Tool Palettes

Does anyone know a good tutorial where I can learn how to create a tag and add it to my tool palettes for future use?

I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2012, and I want to be able to tag the bottom elevation of slabs in my drawings. I found I can create a tag by using the DEFINETAG command and I created text in there that is set to display the bottom elevation of slabs. I'm stuck as to where to go from here. I can't actually "tag" anything with this, and I don't know how to add it to my tool palettes.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You first need a Property, which you create in a Property Set Definition that applies to Slab objects, to hold the information you want to display in the tag.  I am not certain whether or not bottom of slab is available as an automatic property for Slabs, and, unfortunately, I do not have time to check that now.  If it is not, it may be somewhat more involved to create a property that has that information.

When you create your tag with the DEFINETAG command, you then need to indicate that your placeholder text is meant to display that Property, so that the generated attribute is set up to do so.

You can find links to a number of Schedule and Schedule Tag resources in this blog article:

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2006/08/adt-schedule-feature-resources.html

if you are interested in more detail.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply. I figured out the problem, my administrator had not given me permission to add tools to the global tool palette so I had to create a local one for now. 

The tags work, there is a bottom of slab and a top of slab property on SlabObjects. 

Message 4 of 5
hjsanders
in reply to: David_W_Koch

How do you add it to a pallet?

Message 5 of 5
David_W_Koch
in reply to: hjsanders

After creating the Multi-View Block for the tag (using, perhaps, the DEFINETAG command), you will need to save the file as a source file for the Tool palette tool, in a location that will be accessible to all who need to use the tool.  (This is typically in a network location.)  Open the source file from its "final" location and drag an instance of the Multi-View Block onto an editable tool palette, and ACA will create a tag tool.

You can edit the tool's properties to set an appropriate Layer Key and verify that the tag source file and Property Set Definition source file are set correctly.  We have a single source file in which we keep all of our Property Set Definitions, Property Data Formats, Schedule Table Styles and the Multi-View Block Definitions used for tags.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost