AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash when printing 11x17 to HP LaserJet

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
GREGBIALLAS5728
4036 Views, 5 Replies

Crash when printing 11x17 to HP LaserJet

This problem has been going on for years so I'm wondering if there's a solution yet. When printing an 11x17 (letter and legal sizes work fine) AutoCAD stops working and it has to be closed. In the past we've changed the printer drivers to older versions but this no longer works. Are the kind folks at Autodesk aware of this problem and, if so, is there a solution in the works?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

We'll need some more info to help you. Like, what version of ACA are you using. What model is the printer. What's your OS. If you plot a small window does it work vs the whole drawing. Are you using the windows print driver or setting up a custom pc3 for your printer? Are you printing from Layout tabs or model space? What are your computer specs, what OS are you running?

One thing I can tell you for certain is that its most likely your settings, not Autocad. I've worked exclusivly on 11x17 for the last 9 years printing on HP and Toshiba printers and haven't had a crash problem. All print problems I've had were driver related or because the printer was simply too old to be used effectively anymore.

Have you considered publishing to .dwf and then printing from that? This is an inelegant solution if you need to review just one sheet, but for checksets, review sets or anything you want to archive I've found it well worth it.
Message 3 of 6

Well, since this has been going on for so long it applies, I believe, to everything from ADT 2005 to ACA 2011. The printer is an HP LaserJet 5200. The OS is everything from Windows XP through Windows 7. It doesn't matter what area I try to plot. Just using the 11x17 causes the crash. This happens on both the system printer and the pc3 printer.

This isn't happening only in my office. If you search the discussion groups you'll find many others have been having this problem for ages.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: GREGBIALLAS5728

Go to the print-plot discussion area and search/look for work-arounds and
alternate drivers recommended by others: known issue with Win7>HP 5000
series>AutoCAD:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=30

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 5 of 6

Weird, never a problem here, but from that forum, it's a driver issue. Apparently one Autodesk and HP know about and one you'll just have to work around. What an unsatisfactory answer. Best of luck.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=754102&start=15&tstart=0
Message 6 of 6
hbohm
in reply to: GREGBIALLAS5728

In case anyone is still experiencing this problem...I recently was troubleshooting the same issue. I am using AutoCAD 2011 on Windows 7 (64-bit) OS. My printer is HP LaserJet 5200. I had tried absolutely every single driver available, until i found one that worked.

HP came out with the newest drivers on Nov 22, 2010:

• HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6 x64
  • HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5 x64
  • HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PostScript x64
I was using the PCL6 version for a couple days, and it seemed to have solved the problem. Unfortunately it was still acting up every once in awhile. Now I installed the PCL5 version and have had no problems.
Hopes this helps anyone out there that is still trying to solve this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost