AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy & Paste not working in 2014

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
ParadigmAE
59805 Views, 28 Replies

Copy & Paste not working in 2014

Good Morning!!

I'm having a HUGE problem with Arch 2014, coping and pasting blocks, lines &/or text from one drawing to another. I can copy/paste within a drawing. But from one drawing to another, nope. Does anyone have any idea's how to fix this?

Thank you!! 

I'd like to add that sometimes when using Tool Palettes those blocks won't paste either. You can pull the block out, see it on the end of your cursor but when you paste it, it disappears....gone.

I'm wondering if this is a insert issue?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
pendean
in reply to: ParadigmAE

Are you trying to copy/paste from one AutoCAD session to another AutoCAD session (think SDI mode)? Or are both drawings open in the same session, so that your one AutoCAD program Window has both files windows sitting side-by-side? Or are the files different DWG formats (like one of them is 2012 or lower format)?

Copy?Paste works fine, so there is something unique about one of the files or your application settings.

Message 3 of 29
ParadigmAE
in reply to: pendean

When you say "one AutoCAD session" you mean starting AutoCAD once, than yes. I start AutoCAD once than open two different dwg's and try to copy/paste from one to another. There is nothing unique about any of the files. It happens to all dwg files. But, I will say this....sometimes if I shut down & restart AutoCAD it will start working....for about 3 - 4 times, then stop working again. Sometimes I can shut down & restart my whole computer and it will start working again, but for 3 - 4 times then it starts happening again. And this isn't happening to only one computer in my office it's happening to all computers running Arch 2014.

Message 4 of 29
pendean

If it works sometimes, especially at start, it's not an AutoCAD-specific issue, something else is going on.
What Windows versions do you all use?
Are you using ACA fully (AEC content), or running/using it 'as autocad'?
Do you save down to lower formats?
Do you have 3rd party add-ons?
Can you view your Windows Clipboard content when it stops working?
Do you use some sort of Clipboard manager (either an AutoCAD add-on from the exchange store or a Windows add-on)?

I can't replicate the issue here, 2014 and Win7Pro 64bit, all files are 2013/2014 format.
Message 5 of 29
ParadigmAE

Ok to answer your questions:

What Windows versions do you all use? Windows 7 & 8, and it's happening on both versions.

Are you using ACA fully (AEC content), or running/using it 'as autocad'? Running/using it "as autocad"

Do you save down to lower formats? Yes

Do you have 3rd party add-ons? No

Can you view your Windows Clipboard content when it stops working? Yes we can view it, but it still does not paste

Do you use some sort of Clipboard manager (either an AutoCAD add-on from the exchange store or a Windows add-on)? Yes and no, some computers have Clipboard manager some don't

Message 6 of 29
pendean

You probably have AEC content in your file most likely: with you saving down to lower than 2013 you will find that these don;t want to play. Worth testing by resetting the default save back to 2013 format, save UP two files that previously you could not copy/paste between them, then try it. It works fine, if not you'll have to share DWG file samples with the problem as no one else here is dealing with this issue in my office.
Message 7 of 29
DerekToering

Having same issue.  Can't copy a large rack plan from one drawing to the other.  Can do a partial only.  Never been an issue before.  Using 2014.  About to send to support.

Derek.

Message 8 of 29
Gary_J_Orr
in reply to: DerekToering

One thing to look into: The Sketchbook Designer add-on. If it's loaded as an add-on to ACA it could be the source of your problems. I was seeing errors (ok, AutoDesk would probably call them something else but...) on the command line when copying, and paste wasn't available in the target drawing (although I could often get around it by using the "Ctrl-V" keyboard shortcut anyway) while it was installed. Since SD comes as a standalone app I simply uninstalled the ACA Add-on and the problem went away here (although I still have issues with "Paste to Original Coordinates" not being available after using "Copy with base point" in the source).

A note: unloading the menu isn't enough as it will put itself back until the plug-in is actually uninstalled.

G-Man

Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 9 of 29
ParadigmAE
in reply to: Gary_J_Orr

Hey Gary

I looked in the program file folder and in the "Program Feature, Uninstall or Change" section and I can't seem to find Sketchbook Design add-on. Is there another way to see if it's been added?

Thanks for the help.

Abraxas

Message 10 of 29
Gary_J_Orr

You have to use windows "Uninstall/Change a program"... If it is installed it will be listed and should be uninstalled from there. It installs as a seperate application not as a "feature" of the basic ACA application. There are two versions that it installs:The standalone: "Autodesk Sketchbook Designer (version)" and the Add-on: "Autodesk Sketchbook Designer for (...)". Uninstall the Add-on version.

I know it comes with any "Building Design Suite" and I believe that it comes with just ACA as well but don't know for sure.

Gman

Gary J. Orr
(Your Friendly Neighborhood) CADD/BIM/VDC Applications Manager
http://www.linkedin.com/in/garyorr

aka (current and past user names):
Gary_J_Orr (GOMO Stuff 2008-Present); OrrG (Forum Studio 2005-2008); Gary J. Orr (LHB Inc 2002-2005); Orr, Gary J. (Gossen Livingston 1997-2002)
Message 11 of 29
rhw
Contributor

Same problem. Simple copy/paste produces this error on the command line: Command: _pasteclip *Invalid*

Also, blocks cannot be inserted either. XRefs are okay, but binding is teadious!

I discovered this while setting up a new base.dwg to work from. But if this is how the new base drawings work, then I will be forced to continue using my original base.dwg.

Was there a coding disconnect of some kind between 2013 and 2014 that no longer allows pasting?

Message 12 of 29
rhw
Contributor
in reply to: rhw

I conducted a small test, and here are my findings:

Test 1:

Opened two new drawings supplied by the AutoCAD Architecture 2014 program, "Drawing1" and "Drawing2." We are all familiar with this.

Copied a 0-Layer Line from Drawing1, and pasted it into Drawing2.

Result: Worked fine, pasted normally.

Test 2:

Opened an old .dwg file from a year ago, which used AutoCAD Architecture 2012.

Copied a 0-Layer Line from the old .dwg, and pasted it into Drawing2.

Result: Paste failed.

Obviously there is a backward copatability issue. I suspect this means I must spend an exhorbatant amount of time recreating all of my old drawings if I wish for them to function properly in AutoCAD Architecture 2014. Or, xref, then bind them all... But how may I ensure cohesiveness?

On another topic, it would be nice to know if Revit is replacing AutoCAD. If this is related to that issue, I would prefer to invest more in Revit, rather than waste my time in unsupported software...

Message 13 of 29
David_Knight

Tried to replicate.

Autocad Architecture 2014. 

Started new file "Drawing 1" using our standard office template.

opened an old file from 2005. 

Opening an AutoCAD 2004/LT 2004 format file.

Copied a chunk of the elevation, and it pasted just fine into our 2014 version.  No hiccups.

Message 14 of 29
rachel

I am having the same problem with AutoCAD 2014.  I've been working with the trial version to see how it works.  Everything was fine for the first 15 days or so.  Now any file I open won't allow me to copy and paste. 

At first I tried closing out, saving the files and clearing the temp drive.  This procedure worked only once.  A few copy and pastes in and I lost functionality of copying and pasting.  Our firm has different versions of CAD so I have my default downsave setting to 2007 version.

Next I tried downsaving the files to 2010 instead of 2007 format.  This worked for one file and not the other.   For the file it worked in, it was only a few clicks of copying and pasting (like 20)  before it no longer allowed copying and pasting to occur.  I tried closing out, clearing temp drive again and no luck.

No matter what way I approached copying and pasting: Right click copy and paste as well as control v control c as well as edit copy paste--it doesn't work.  I did manage to right click and hold the click down until a square icon appeared and drag with an option to copy to location.  This works ok within a file, but efficiency is lost as I can't copy with a base point.  And the biggest issue is I can't copy between files. 

Our firm has a number of CAD details which were generated in older versions of CAD.  Starting a new file from scratch and using only 2014 native linework would be a huge loss in productivity.  Also many of our files come from other consultants, surveyors, etc which we base our drawings upon.  If these files corrupt the file we are working in we are dead in the water. 

This is the most fundamental function of AutoCAD. It needs to work with all versions!

Message 15 of 29
C.Fair
in reply to: rachel

Hi,

We use AutoCAD 2013, but were having the same problems w/ copy clipboard working, yet taking too much time (30+seconds), and then paste not working.

After much searching on forums, we found a solution, though we’ve found it to be very time consuming. If your files have been in any other program (i.e. Revit) this is recommended:

• Open DWG
  • Purge (purge all)
  • Audit > Y
  • Files save as to a .DXF
  • Close
  • Re-open DXF File
  • Purge with “-pu” command >> -pu > a > (blank) > n
  • Audit
  • File save as back to a .DWG
  • Make sure all of your files are saved the same year

I also suggest to do the “_SCALELISTEDIT” command and reset to your correct scale.  We were merging imperial & metric scaled files that were all exported from Revit and it was causing mayhem.  There were a few files with over 35,000 blocks to purge, hundreds of layer types, and up to 100,000 errors in some files… no wonder we had problems!

Hope this helps someone, as other posts helped us!  Good luck.

Message 16 of 29
Hninwaihlaing
in reply to: C.Fair

Smiley LOL Hi bro, It was really work,

Thanks a lot

Message 17 of 29
summerjade
in reply to: Hninwaihlaing

For your information, recently I had some problem. I used a solution from Autodesk website. it works

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD...

Message 18 of 29
danceking
in reply to: C.Fair

This really works! Thanks.

Message 19 of 29
grant

I have AutoCAD 2013 and was having the same for some time.

What solved the problem for me is chaning the "Save As" format to the most current version available.

Tools -> Options -> File Save -> "AutoCAD 2013 Drawing (*.dwg)"

Unfortunately anyone with earlier versions and are unable to open this format so you have to manually save down for them.

Message 20 of 29
rhw
Contributor
in reply to: grant

Thanks for all the replies folks. I downloaded AutoCAD Architecture 2015; the issue of copying from a previous version into this newer addition appears to be resolved - it works fine now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost