AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex Roof Fascia & Soffit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
VaDesigner10
1974 Views, 4 Replies

Complex Roof Fascia & Soffit

Attached is a file with a fairly complex fascia and soffit attached to a simple roof slab in a shed roof.  Any ideas on how to get the corners to miter properly?  The ends seem to "jog" and create a messy intersection.  TIA!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
VaDesigner10
in reply to: VaDesigner10

Anyone?

Message 3 of 5
KathyMoffa

If you search on this forum, there have been several discussions about  problems using slab edge styles for roofs, specifically, in mitering the corners.   Here is one that should point you in the right direction.  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture/Roof-and-Roof-Slab/m-p/3391487/highlight/true#M39...

Message 4 of 5
ntellery

As I say on the other post (Kathy's link) I use almost exclusively the Roof object over slabs and use a wall style for gutters and fascias.   I don't think my solution would fair any better but it does illustrate the difficulty of an automatic edge solution.  

Does this actually work in real life without matching the angle on the pitching edge to the sloping edge?  Mathamatically this seems impossible as the inside edge stops short on the rise whereas the outside edge travels higher yet expects to meet the same height.  So as any 3D solution would only highlight the problem which is why sometimes building a model can be helpful.

So to be fair I think what you are asking is not possible in the real world and so can't be fudged in the virtual one.  I think that is one of the benefits of building a model.  You can't lie like you could on paper.

If you match the pitch on the ends, ie, make them square (to edge) instead of plumb, the gutters meet up.  For some reason, the enableture would not go square and stayed plumb.  Might be a bug!  I tried from scratch and the enableture would always stay plumb and that is the issue,  I don't have enough experience with slab edge styles to say.  If I reconstructed my way using a seperate wall style as gutter style, I could get it to work and mitre fine if it sloped with the pitch.  

I've attached my best (quick) effort to emulate using a seperate wall style on a roof object (could be a Slab) but I had problems getting the corners to mitre properly on all 4.  I see you are using VR, does it's roof object not handle this?

1 advantage of using a wall style (or structural object) for edge styles apart from their independance from the roof itself is that I could have multiple componants with mutiple materials. The slab edge style really only gives you two.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
dbroad
in reply to: ntellery

I agree with the comments that this is not possible in the real world.  You would need to create separate rake facia and soffit profiles that would miter with the eave or ridge profiles. That would only work for a single slope.  If you decide later to change the slope you would need to create different rake profiles. 

There is also the added complexity of the directions of the soffits.  The eave/ridge would need the soffit to slope with the roof.  The rake edge would need a horizontal soffit.

That is the reason that eave trim is turned horizontally and then killed into a wall below the roof rake.  Other solutions involve trim boards that vertically separate to avoid the miter.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost