AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare two cad files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mhunn
377 Views, 3 Replies

Compare two cad files

I had a CAD file taken from me and returned.  How do I find out and prove that the returned file orginated from my system.  There has been changes from Autocad 2008 to 2006 to 2011.

I have brought the CAD files into notepad and got some information, I also saved as a dfx and brought into wordpad and got some information.  But I dont know how to find the smoking gun.

I do not know how to retrieve the metadata information from the files.

I would appreciate any assistance.

marshall

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: mhunn

What are you actually trying to do (purpose of the info)? Your question is too broad, narrow it down to what you want to do with the info... .

Message 3 of 4
mhunn

I have had several cad files taken from me from a "bad guy".  The "bad guy" continued working on the files and completed my designs.  I have since got copies of the "bad guy's" cad files (from an attorney) after they have completed everything.  I am trying to prove that the CAD files that were returned to me were actually started in my office.

I know there is Metadata information that can be retrieved from the cad files that might help prove that the files started in my office.  But I dont know where to look or what to look for or how to retrieve it.  Alot of the metadata is in codes that I dont know what they mean.

I guess my overall objective is to find the hidden information in the cad file itself that will point to my office.  I know the CAD files are mine, because when I look at the properties, they have the very same creation date, down to the minute.  But I am looking for more than that.  Again, I just don't know how to find it or what exactly I am looking for.

Hopefully this helps,

thanks

marshall

Message 4 of 4
pendean

Unless you inserted a unique logo or object type in the file that is still present (even a unique custom block you created personally, nbothing OOTB so to speak or can be found by others on the internet), or if you used an electronic signature in the file, or if you have a record of the file's transmittal (email, attachment, FTP download record etc.) to the person in question from you/your office, I'm not sure you have much to use with just the final file.

Hang on for others to jump in with ideas. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost