AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Column Grid visibility in elevations or sections

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
morehead
1208 Views, 3 Replies

Column Grid visibility in elevations or sections

Using Architecture 2012 and seem unable to get a column grid to show automatically in elevation views. Looks fine in plan view, bubbles etc all working once we sorted out annotative setting .

Any direction would be appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jmcintyre
in reply to: morehead

ACA is not revit. It does not automatically show grids. You have to manually add them.

Message 3 of 4
aghis_no

The column grid in a 2d grid. Therefore, in a section it is not possible to see it.
You can however achieve part of what you are looking for.
This solution works only for orthogonal grids.
a. Use a 3D-layoutgrid instead of a structural grid and put it on a layer that has a unique color (ex. LayerName: 3dgrid and give it the Color: 180). the command to create a 3dlayoutgrif is "GridVolumeAdd"
b. Attach the columns to each node of the 3dlayoutgrid using the command "anchor" then choose "node" and then "copy to each node" if you want to have columns at each grid node or "attach object" if you wish to attach each column individually". You will probably need to use the anchor option of the columns (using the properties palette and clicking on "anchor") to control the rotation an orientation of your attached columns.
c.  Then in the 2dsection style create2 rules
1.  for color: "180" of: "any visible" object to be drawn on the component: "subdivision 10" (I use "subdivision 10" in order to simplify my example and to avoid creating a new specific component for the 2dsection)
2. for color:180 of: "hidden" objects to be drawn on the component: "subdivision10"
(I use again the same "subdivision 10")
3. In the "display properties", define the way you wish the "subdivision10" to be drawn.

This will create the grid but not the bubbles…
In order to create the bubbles, you will have to create an Mvblock with a representation of the bubble, and use the same method to attach it to the 3dlayout grid. You will probably need explore what font can be used, since not all fonts show on the 2dsection.

hope this may help you

regards

aghis

Message 4 of 4
cnewton

Here is a work around that I use. On the design tool palette select the structural column grid. Create a grid with the X spacing at your desired bay size. Set the Y spacing for your fiished floor, top of steel etc.

Next, and this may seem odd, from the annotation palette, insert a plan elevation label. Once this is in the drawing, you will have its definition to use in the next step.

Select the grid and right click, select label. Set up your labels to number the X value as you need for this elevation. In the Y elevation, select the "bubbles" option and change the buble type to " Aec_Elevation_label_Plan_1_I ".

You will also need to put in a value for the column grids (1,2,3, etc.) to get the bubbles to generate. Make sure you have checked the  "Generate on Exit" box.

Now click on each  elevation label and edit the attributes in properties to remove the marker. You can also add a suffix such as FIN FLR, TOS, etc.

I hope this helps.

Clint

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Spillman Farmer Architects

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost