AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change selection of scheduled objects in external drawing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
626 Views, 5 Replies

Change selection of scheduled objects in external drawing

I have three drawing constructs. Basement First, Second. In each construct I have spaces with doors linked.

I have door tags and room tags. I have schedules. All work just fine. However, I need to combine all three Finish and all three Door schedules into one multi-level schedule for each, doors and finishes. In views, I schedule the external references by selecting the YES option in the properties dialog box. The problem is that the drawing contains doors and spaces that I do not want to be part of the schedule. How do I reselect the objects that I want to be in the schedule?

The other problem is I can only select one drawing. It makes no sense to have separate schedules for each floor on a small project where there are only 10-20 rooms. As a work around I can create the schedules in constructs, import all the constructs into a view, clip all the constructs and the stitch the tables together. This is cumbersome, does not update seamlessly and results in unnecessary file sizes.

Am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: Anonymous

I usually create a view drawing for my schedules and make sure all constructs containing items to be scheduled are in it.  I then place all of the schedules in this drawing selecting the constructs to be scheduled.  As far as excluding certain items from the schedule you can use layer filtering on the properties palette; or my favorite is using classification definitions to determine which items to be scheduled.  The classification definition would need to reside in each construct and in the view drawing and the schedule would need to be modified to apply to certain classifications in the definition.  Once you have this set up adding a new door to a construct would automatically add it to the schedule as long as it was classified properly.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I follow your logic and practice same. However, layering does not help since the external drawing is scheduling the door objects, not the layer they reside on. So even if I have say Demo doors frozen, the demo doors are still scheduled and there in lies the rub. To schedule just the new doors I need to be able to select them and external scheduling schedules the whole drawing with no option to change selection sets.

As far as "classification definitions", I haven't tried that yet, but even so how would you schedule multiple xrefs in one schedule? The option only alows you to select one drawing to schedule externally.

Message 4 of 6
David_W_Koch

To create an "external" schedule with objects from multiple files:

Create a new drawing, and externally reference all of the files needed to get all of the objects to be scheduled in the new drawing.  Point your schedule at the new drawing.

To control which doors are in an "external" schedule or in a schedule that uses external references as the source:

Two options:

1.  Add a string to the Layer wildcard property of the Schedule Table (Properties Palette > Design tab > Basic category > Selection subcategory > Layer wildcard property.  Be certain that your Layer wildcard string includes the layer on which the external references are placed, as well as the layer(s) of the Doors.  If your Doors are on layer A-Door, use *|A-Door to get the externally dependent layer.  If the external references are on layer 0, then 0,*|A-Door should work.

2.  Set up a Classification Definition to control which Doors get scheduled.  This will be easiest if the Doors that are not to be scheduled do not share the same Door Style(s) as the Doors that are to be scheduled, but in more recent versions you can override the Classification set at the Style level on individual Doors at the instance level.

This blog article

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2005/11/filtering-objects-in-adt-schedule.html

is on the old side, and predates the ability to override Classifications at the object level, but goes into the options above in slightly greater detail.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 6
John.W.Mumaw

Well it looks like David beat me to it but here's what I had prepared:

It sounds like you're selecting yes under "Advanced, Schedule external drawing".  That should say no and "scan xrefs" should say yes.  This will let you select the xreffed drawings as objects to schedule.  I'm attaching a jpeg of what my properties pallette might look like if I was scheduling external drawings and using a layer filter, although mostly I use classifications these days since you can set them up on a style basis.

When using a layer filter for xrefs you can use *| as a prefix or more simply just *.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 6 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

If your Schedule Table is in the same drawing file as the external references, then follow John's advice to set Schedule external drawing to "No".  If your Schedule Table is in a Sheet File and you do not want all of the external references in that file for some reason, you can set up a separate file to hold all of the external references, and then use that file as the external file.  My post covered the latter situation.

The Layer wild card or Classification Definition discussion on controlling the Schedule Table selection applies in either situation.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost