AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cavity wall - precast concrete & masonry block

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
nextvkin
1423 Views, 15 Replies

Cavity wall - precast concrete & masonry block

Hi, 
I have a wall style which consists of a 150 concrete wall, an 80mm cavity, and a 150 masonry blockwall. However I want to show vertical joints (20mm gaps) in the concrete so as to look like precast concrete panels, the width of which will vary between 1800 & 3800mm. How do I go about doing that? Thanks in advance for any help

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
KathyMoffa
in reply to: nextvkin

I'm not quite sure in what view you want to see the vertical joints, but the settings are controlled by the Material hatch pattern (plan, surface and section) of the wall style. 

Message 3 of 16
ntellery

When I have done precast concrete panels I have turned of cleanup and actually setout the panels with a endcap with champhered ends. I think I had a 10mm setoff for the endcap too.  Was an issue with being able to see thru the panel joints, I think I added another componant that sat centred and only appeared in model, elevation view as the seal between panels.  

This would mean a seperate wall style from your blocks but that will give you some advantages in independance between the wall and also allows you to dictate where the panels join and lap at corners.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 4 of 16
nextvkin

Hi Kathy - The vertical joints are for elevation view so that it's not looking like a continuous wall but panelised.
Ntellery - will try, but being new at this might come back for further help.
Thanx both for reply
Message 5 of 16
ntellery

For my work, rarely would a hatch pattern suffice because the joins would need to be adjusted as required around openings, corners etc.  Easiest way is to simply draw them on the created elevation afterward.  But if I were to do them again I would do it with the wall style I first described as it worked well.

And looking back on the old job with the panels, I simply added a masselement in the gaps as filler and it wasn't part of the wall style.  I think it could be done as an endcap trick with a 0 width componant but that would be tricky and I haven't tried it.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 6 of 16
nextvkin
in reply to: ntellery

Ntellery,

I think I understand the part about turning off cleanup, but can't work out how to go about having a separate wall style for the blockwork(???). Any chance of explaining (slowly) to a newbie? Thanks.

Attached is what I'd like to achieve.

Message 7 of 16
ntellery

yes exactly.  What version are you using? I could post a sample. (I'm on 13 but I have old files).

My point is your internal and external leaf are doing different things.  I generall have a double brick wall style and at times ext and int are doing different things and you need to do some workarounds (like adding masselements as body modifiers).  But here the walls can really be 2 different styles and you have the freedom to set each as required.  Visionrez for eg. do that with all their external walls, I think because it's more accurate to get Q's. 

So you just draw your ext wall and then draw your internal wall.  You could draw it in the same place and then offset it by the distance required and delete the 1st draw.  You could trace a pline around the perimeter and offset that and turn the inside one into your block wall.  These are only quick drawing techniques but it's as simple as having 2 separate wall styles instead of a combined one. Your conc panel prob needs it's own cleanup group or turn it off.  For me I wanted the joints shown and so didn't want cleanup.   This gives complete freedom to have separate heights etc to each wall.

My panel could have a furring and gypboard lining wall style traced around the inside and that would stop any seethru at the joints. Your block wall will do the same thing so I wouldn't worry about adding anything extra (unless you can see the hatch to the block wall - turn off the hatching!)

Sometimes it doesn't have to be perfect or exact. only what is required to get the job done.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 8 of 16
nextvkin

Ntellery,

I would really appreciate a sample just to see how it's done - I'm on 2013 too. Thanks.

Message 9 of 16
ntellery

Try this out.  Pls note  this is a file from 10 yrs ago.  I would not trust copying too much from the drawing.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 10 of 16
nextvkin

Ntellery,

Had a quick look at the drawing - thanks for taking the time to add all the notes & info to explain. It all makes sense, the only part that I'm not sure about is the subtractive bit between window and the blockwall. Do you mean I can use the window (or a door) to subtract part of the wall? I'll give it a go anyway. 

Message 11 of 16
ntellery

when you had frames, you add them to one wall only. (Suggest ext wall).  You then select the other wall, right click (or look on ribbon Modify tab) and add the window as an interference condition (subtractive).

Then you can select the window and under the properties pallete look up the Anchor settings adjust position within Y.

I think I did it to one window but not the other (for you to try).

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 12 of 16
nextvkin

Thanks for tip, will definitely give it a go.

Message 13 of 16
nextvkin

Hi Ntellery,

Finally got around to looking closely at your sample file and managed to put the window & a door into the walls as per your instructions. That's a great solution, thanks.

I created my own concrete wall, but discovered a strange (to me anyway) thing - when I created my concrete wall in your drawing, I could have any colour I like, but when I started a new drawing and created the same wall it remained  grey no matter what I did. I used the same wall style & display settings as your drawing, but it refused to budge.

Attached are both drawings: ConcWall_colour - using your drawing as template; and ConcWall_grey using a new drawing. Hope you can explain what I've not done right. Thanks.

Message 14 of 16
ntellery

Well.... that's a big conversation right there.  

The first thing I would encourage is look to use the ByMaterial setting rather than setting display by style.

I most generally have NO style overrides for my wall styles.  The display is set by the material setting.  When I discovered this OOTB method, it transformed my process and made it so much easier to manage display.  Wish I had time to do a youtube series on this.    I tried to offer an explanation here and I am sure there are other good tut's on this on the net.

So I would remove all your style overrides and tick the ByMaterial box and then go to your material Tab and change the material from std to Conc....

Whether this material is setup properly I am not sure, as I said this is a very old file with what I would consider now junk in it.

The only reason I have style overrides are for cabinets or other special situations where I need to override the cutplane (which is interesting seeing that my std (all) wall styles have their CP overrid from the global CP but that is to do with my Multi level in one file approach.

If you do this your panel will turn to concrete!

Actually I couldn't change the colour either and it has me confused.  I think it is a bug as the wireframe is showing the colour but not the shaded model.  Weird.  But I wouldn't work this way and strongly recommend ByMaterial as it makes things (once you get your head around it) SO much easier to manage.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Message 15 of 16
nextvkin

Ntellery,

I finally found the culprit - it's in style manager of material definitions, under display properties, uncheck style overrides and the colour comes through.

Message 16 of 16
ntellery

Yes you are right, good catch, however I confirm my belief this is a bug.  

The ByMaterial box is not ticked so it should have no effect on the wall colour.  I would send it to ADesk as a bug issue.  The colour should come from the wall style.  If you click on it, the wireframe shows the correct colour.  Something going wrong there.

Thx for posting though.  Good to know yet of another bug.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost