AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open drawings with Dynamic Blocks in ACA 2014 and ACA 2015

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
KathyMoffa
403 Views, 4 Replies

Cannot open drawings with Dynamic Blocks in ACA 2014 and ACA 2015

I just discovered this problem yesterday when trying to open some older drawings with Dynamic Blocks in ACA2015, so it was on my mind when I saw Libbya's posting today.  When I open this drawing or any dynamic block drawing, I get the error "...dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor? Y/N/Cancel.  If I select N, the drawing opens, but the object is not dynamic.  If I select Y, the BE opens.  If I save the block, it kicks me out of the drawing completely.  If I close the block, I'm back to the same state as answering N (not dynamic).   This happens with all my old drawings with Dynamic Blocks, and happens in both ACA2014 and 2015, the only versions I have currently installed.  I also haven't used Dynamic Blocks in a long time, so have no idea when I lost this functionality.    Anyone have any idea what is happening?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Kathy,

This sounds like the expected behavior for a drawing file that was saved as a dynamic block.

Do you have more content in the file, aside from the dynamic block, which you need to open/access/modify?

Could you post a sample file where this is happening, if you feel it is in error?

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 3 of 5

Victoria,

That article was of no use to me.  When I attempt to open any of the drawings in question,   I get the message  that the drawing “contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor? Y/N/Cancel”.  If I select Cancel, I’m kicked out (drawing is not opened). If I select N, the drawing opens, but the block  is not dynamic. If I select Y and open BE, I’m in BE, but can’t do anything.  Closing the BE does NOT return me to the drawing.  Regardless of how I get there, when I select "Close Block Editor", the entire drawing closes, not just the Block Editor.   It's as if I selected Exit the drawing instead of Close BE. 

As to specific drawings, it happens with the one posted by LIBBYA last week, and it appears to happen only with my older drawings (2012, maybe 2010, and earlier).  And, I have otherwise not had any problems with BE.

Thanks, 

Kathy Moffa

Message 4 of 5

Got it--I have to insert the drawing into another--don't recall that it used to work that way with these drawings.

Message 5 of 5

Hi Kathy,

This may be due to the older file format of the drawings. Are you inserting them into a new drawing and then saving in the current (2013) file format?

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost