AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture 2015 - Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without ...

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
FT398
64618 Views, 35 Replies

AutoCAD Architecture 2015 - Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without ...

I have recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2015 - I'm actually using MEP installed as part of the Building Design Suite but I'm running it under the Architecture profile, hence me posting in this section.

I have noticed that whenever any kind of error is triggered I get the following message on the command line:

Cannot invoke (command) from *error* without prior call to (*push-error-using-command*).
Converting (command) calls to (command-s) is recommended.

This is a clean install with no form of add-ons or personal lisp routines etc so I am 100% confident that this message is not linked to something I have added. The message comes up regardless of what the error trigger is, even something as simple as typing (alert 1) will throw this message out rather than the expected bad argument type: stringp 1.

I then changed my profile to plain AutoCAD, restarted CAD and tried triggering an error and this time I get the correct error message. So it seems that whatever is going on, it is related to something within the Architecture profile.

Has anybody else experienced this situation? I have tried on three machines (all running the same software setup) and each of them throws the same error when in the Architecture profile but not in the AutoCAD profile so I know it is not specific to just one machine.

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
FT398
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I have just reinstalled ACA 2015 and given the suggested fix a try but it isn't working for me. If I manually paste the re-definition code into the command window it works perfectly but when I use it in my acaddoc.lsp file it doesn't. I know the code is being run because I added princ statements before and after so that I could be sure but for some reason it won't work.

Not sure if it makes any difference but I'm running SP2 (why didn't Autodesk fix this as part of the SP?) whereas previous comments have been based on machines running SP1.

Message 22 of 36
BillGlennie
in reply to: FT398

Here is the solution.  There is an error handler in one of the welding lisp files that needs to be updated.  Replace the original version of AecDetailsWeldCMD.lsp, which is located in the Welding folder under the install directory (typically C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015), with the attached file, and this problem should be resolved.  

Thanks,  Bill

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 36
rlfultz
in reply to: BillGlennie

Thanks, but I don't think I have that file installed. I'm running Map, not Civil and don't have a "welding" folder in my install directory. Is it possible that the bad error handler is written to other lisps as well?

Message 24 of 36
mmccormack81

I had the same problem as some of the other post in this forum and I have to say that the file you attached has worked a treat and fixed the problem for me... Thank you very much!...

I searched the suggested folder for the file  - noticed it werent there and so copied the file into it and voila problem solved...

Thanks Bill... 

Regards

Matt 

Message 25 of 36
BillGlennie
in reply to: mmccormack81

Thanks Matt - I'm glad you could find the answer.

Cheers,  Bill

Bill Glennie
AutoCAD Team, including Architecture and MEP
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 26 of 36
RPITTMANAECOM

I am having the same problem with all my expresstools. Works once, then have to close to get it to work again.

I do not have a welding directory. Any ideas?  I am just using Autocad 2015 SP2.

Thanks

Ryan

Message 27 of 36

Hi @RPITTMANAECOM,

I just helped another customer with this issue in AutoCAD 2015, and the cause turned out to be a third-party application he was using in conjunction with AutoCAD. In this case, the application was created by CADFX, and the customer contacted them directly for a fix.

Do you have any third-party applications or plugins installed? If so, try uninstalling the third-party application to determine if it is the root cause.

Finally, if you have any custom LISP routines you use, you can also temporarily remove these to determine if they are the cause.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 28 of 36
ethomas
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

I am having a similar issue that just started a day ago.  Running Civil3D 2015, with SP3 and no special lisp routines or 3rd party add-ins.  I get the error when using GATTE (an express tools command).  It only occurs in a single drawing, and I can't predict when it will happen.  Closing the drawing and re-opening resolves the issue.  I am not limited to a single use of the command as others have noted.  It just eventually quits working and gives the error message.  I do not have a "welding" folder into which I could insert the file.

Message 29 of 36
grogers
in reply to: ethomas

Has this been resolved yet for AutoCAD only?  This is very frustrating ever time Burst stops working.  Especially if you have multiple drawings open.

BU error: (*pop-error-mode*) underflow.

Message 30 of 36
jfox3294
in reply to: mmccormack81

Which AutoCAD are you running? I'm using plain AutoCAD 2015, and kept getting this error. If this file could do harm to my version of AutoCAD, then I don't really want to use it.

Message 31 of 36
orbanrazvan

Hey there....I tried everything u all wrote up there (i've written

(defun *error* (msg) (princ "error: ") (princ msg) (princ))

in the acad2015doc.lsp - nothing......i've copied the .LSP u attached-nothing) ....still get this error...and I cannot use some of my commands...pls help

Message 32 of 36
dbroad
in reply to: orbanrazvan

@orbanrazvan:  Welcome to the forums.  As you post, especially when replying to an individual post within a long thread, you should use the @ key and choose to whom you are replying rather than using something like "you posted." Also, provide enough information so that we could respond.

The error handler you (orbanrazan) posted couldn't possibly trigger a command error since the command function is not part of your error handler, nor could it fix other poorly constructed *error* functions for reasons stated later.

If this is an AutoCAD Architecture problem, then you are in the right forum.  If you are trying to customize, this is not the best forum for customization answers.  Try the AutoCAD Customization forum.

These kinds of errors were a problem for the initial versions of ACA 2015 because the LSP files provided out of the box had the command functions built-in to their error handlers.  Error handlers are usually locally defined so even if you provide your own definition, a particular lsp file that contained an embedded *errror* function would not be fixed.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 33 of 36
lnget

Make sure Layer "0" is NOT turned off. I run into this sometimes where my lisps won't work and this is ALWAYS the reason why!

Message 34 of 36
dretch

😕

Message 35 of 36

Old post, but for everyone that are working in AutoCAD and still having the same issue, I was trying to convert some text to geometry and got the same error than the OP.  What worked for me was: creating a new autocad file, use xref and bind the file with the text I wanted to convert to polyline, hope this is useful to somebody

Message 36 of 36
c9lara

Thank you so much. When I entering TCOUNT command the AutoCAD showed that same problem. Your solution helped me a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost