AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get back to Layers palette

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
langerhans
5697 Views, 10 Replies

Can't get back to Layers palette

Autocad Architecture 2014. I clicked on something and now my Layers panel is a small horizontal window across the top and it won't go away. How can I get back to a Layers panel that comes and goes and is the traditional pop-up palette?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dbroad
in reply to: langerhans

It's probably docked and set to a very small size.  Either undock it or adjust the size with your mouse. Hover over the  bottom edge until you see the mouse cursor change, left click and drag down.  Suggestion:  Turn off "Allow docking" by right clicking on the titlebar of the layer palette when in the undocked position.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 11
langerhans
in reply to: dbroad

Thanks for the input. However I can't get it to work. The only change in cursor is at the very bottom edge, where it changes to the parallel lines/up-down arrow to pull bottom up or down.

I can pull it up to minimize to just a title bar but then to view layers again, I have to pull it down, obscuring most of my drawing. Right and left clicking on this icon does nothing.

I've tried hovering with right and left clicking in every conceivable space. Anything else I can try or am I just doing it wrong.

Message 4 of 11
dbroad

In the options command, use the export option to save your profile.  Then use the reset option and see if that solves your problem.  You will lose any support file settings.  It is always a good idea to keep an extra copy of a working profile around so that it can be reset using that copy rather than the factory copy though.

If that doesn't work, repair install, then if that doesn't work reinstall.  

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 11
David_W_Koch

Since you can resize the Layer Properties Manager, I am going to assume that your user interface is not locked, but just in case, look at the right side of the Application Status Bar (at the very bottom of the AutoCAD Architecture window), for a tool with an icon that looks like a lock.  If it is unlocked, leave it that way.  If it is locked, select the tool, and then, on the menu, choose All > Unlocked.

Expand the height of the Layer Properties Manager (docked at the top of the drawing window) so that you can see a few layer names.  At the far left, there will be a gray bar with two rows of small black dots at the top.  Either left click on the gray bar and drag down into the drawing area until the outline of the dragged palette appears as a rectangle that does not span across the entire drawing area and release -OR- right-click on the gray bar and choose Allow Docking on the context menu to clear the checkmark.  Either of these actions should result in a floating palette.

If you want to have the Layer Properties Manager available when needed, but not take up screen real estate, consider right clicking on the title spine and selecting Allow Docking on the context menu to add the checkmark back, and then right clicking again and selecting Anchor Left or Anchor Right.  If you mouse over the anchored palette, it will deploy for review/use.  You can anchor several palettes on the same side, and they will stack in the same space that a single palette would take.

If any of the above is unclear, this screencast should help to clarify.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 11
langerhans
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks, it worked. Not the first time but eventually. Appreciate it.

Message 7 of 11
k.lew

I'm trying to figure out the opposite...my Layer Prop Manager is a pop up window and I'd like to have it docked.

Anyone know how to set this??

Message 8 of 11
David_W_Koch
in reply to: k.lew

@k.lew wrote:

I'm trying to figure out the opposite...my Layer Prop Manager is a pop up window and I'd like to have it docked.

Anyone know how to set this??

Hover over the anchored palette to deploy it.

Move your cursor over to the deployed palette's title bar and right-click.

Choose Allow Docking from the context menu to clear the check mark and have the palette become free floating.

Right click again on the palette's title bar.

Choose Allow Docking again to enable docking.

Select-drag the palette's title bar to the window edge where you want the palette to be docked, and release.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 11
k.lew

I guess my problem was actually a little different...apparently the "layer" command opens the "layer prop manager" in a pop up window that cannot be docked, but "layerpalette" will open the properties manager in a window that can be docked. thanks!

Message 10 of 11
David_W_Koch
in reply to: k.lew

You must have the LAYERDLGMODE System Variable set to 0.  Set it to 1, and the LAYER command will open the modeless/dockable palette version rather than the "classic" dialog-based version.  (CLASSICLAYER will force the dialog-based version if you want to open that while LAYERDLGMODE is set to 1.)

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 11 of 11
k.lew

ahhh, this is great, thank you David!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost