AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board & Batten Siding

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BBP-Arch
3033 Views, 4 Replies

Board & Batten Siding

ACA 2011

I'm looking for a wall style w/ Board & Batt siding...anyone?

Thanks,

Scott

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: BBP-Arch

Hi Scott,

If you're just looking for something to show up correctly on elevations, there is a board and batten render material in the content browser, but you'll have to manually make the adjustments for a material definition.  I normally make sure I have a material definition close and let it use that as a template.  The main thing you'll want to change is the surface hatch definition, and there is a vertical siding hatch in the OTB hatch definitions (although the battens are awfully narrow).  That said the render material is for new wood and not painted.  I haven't looked lately but there are probably better render materials on line.  I'm attaching a wall style I've used before with the included render material and the siding hatch (Fair warning this is pulled from an old file and so it probably needs tweaking for newer versions).  EDIT I just noticed you said you're using the 2011 version.  While this was pulled from an even earlier version, I don't have anything older than 2014 on this computer, so I'll have to find a way to get you a 2010 version file if you're going to benefit from an example.

If you need something for close up modeling where you'll actually be able to see the depth of the battens, I've had good luck using a curtain wall as a body modifier before.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 3 of 5
BBP-Arch
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

Wow, thanks for responding! I tried downloading your file, but for some reason it won't open, let alone unzip. Error message says invalid file.

Any chance you could try again?

Thanks,

Scott

Message 4 of 5
John.W.Mumaw

That's odd I was able to download and unzip with no problem.  Apparently I can't attach a dwg file but here is a link to the file (I'll leave this up for a few days).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlnstoojp17r60e/BoardBattenWall.dwg?dl=0

But, as I mentioned in my edit, this is a 2013 version file and I don't have any way at the moment to create an earlier version file.  Maybe this weekend.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 5 of 5
ntellery

Another option for 3D work  is to create a PLine closed in the shape of the profile of the board and apply it as a sweep to a componant of a wall style. which renders nicely.

Works well but there are a few bugs when extending to gables etc. I've used this more than the curtain wall but I think the CW might be more robust and not freakout as much. 

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost