AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

block editor not opening?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jmldg
4908 Views, 6 Replies

block editor not opening?

Hello again.  I'm starting to wonder if I need to reset my program.  When I click on my blocks, it won't allow me into block editor.  I checked, and my Blockeditlock variable is set to zero, which should allow me in.  But alas, it does not.  When I type in "blockeditor" it says "read only".  Which it's never done before.  I have no idea what happened between last night and this morning.  Most frustrating.

Any advice, very welcome.  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
LanceEdwards
in reply to: jmldg

This is most bizarre as I am experiencing the same behavior....litterally overnight. This has to be something outside the realm of AutoCAD. A Windows update or AV push.

I will continue to look into this and report back.

Lance Edwards

Baltimore, MD

Message 3 of 7
jmldg

I'd wager pretty much anything that I didn't somehow accidentally type in the word "pickfirst" and change the variable two nights ago.  But it had in fact been changed, and it affected both my ability to edit blocks, and to set origin points for a hatch.  Probably had further reaching alterations that I simply hadn't noticed yet.

But anyway, what fixed it for me: type in "pickfirst", and then set the variable number to 1.  #1 means pickfirst is on.  #0 sets it to off.  If it's off, you won't be able to click on something and then expect something else to happen, you'd have to give it the command prior to selecting the object.

Anyway, that one stupid thing made my morning quite frustrating yesterday, and such a relief in the afternoon.

Hope that does it for you as well.

Message 4 of 7
LanceEdwards

Good catch!

This varialbe has been known to change after crashes and Windows upates. Registry cleaners have also been known to mess with this variable.

Lance Edwards

Baltimore, MD

Message 5 of 7
CHARLIE1983
in reply to: LanceEdwards

I am having the same problem,  overnight.  Did you get an answer?

Message 6 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: CHARLIE1983

If PICKFIRST is set to 0, change it to 1.

If QAFLAGS is set to anything other than 0, set it to 0.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 7
reuben.h
in reply to: CHARLIE1983

Can also try to set the system variable (by typing this on the keyboard) BLOCKEDITLOCK to 0

I have noticed this problem for students on Macs in the past.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost