AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black or White background- Model space

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
jimsullivan2294
1231 Views, 17 Replies

Black or White background- Model space

Hello,

I am wondering- do you like a black or white background for your model space. Why do you like it that way?

TIA -jim
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: jimsullivan2294

black background for less overall light coming from the monitor = less
eyestrain

all lines are set to display in colour with min thickness.

I set up paperspace the same for the same reasons

Print preview then shows the sheet black on white
Message 3 of 18
Libbya

That's the way I do it too.

Andrew
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

Black background-
better contrast
less electricity
doesn't burn your retinas out
mionitor lasts longer
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:22:30 +0000, jmcintyre <> wrote:

>Black background-
:
>less electricity

Bwaahahahahahaha!

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

"Matt Stachoni" wrote in message
news:5843986@discussion.autodesk.com...
>Bwaahahahahahaha!

black is the new green...
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

Pre-serious use of ADT - black and black.

Post-serious use of ADT - started out Model black, Layouts white, then got tired of making the adjustment and went all white. I generally do not turn on the display of plot styles in Layouts for my own drawings, but find that very helpful when looking at the engineers' drawings on-screen, or when looking at drawings done by others.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Using ADT 2004 at work; access to 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 at home
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 02:16:11 +0000, David_W._Koch <> wrote:

>Post-serious use of ADT - started out Model black, Layouts white, then got tired of making the adjustment and went all white.

Bah!

I set my background black, my cursor black and my crosshairs black. I just read
the coordinates to figure out where I am. Impresses the chicks.

Also keeps pesky cow-orkers from using my PC.

Matt
mstachoni@comcast.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 9 of 18

Mr. Stachoni

I say, old chap, it is rather bad form to boast of your prowess with the young hens especially since you have taken to wearing a cloak of sackcloth and carrying a florescent tube. Just because you have all the best toys, able to teleport to AU, understand ACA and design by telepathy (want to sell that Logitech mouse?) it behoves you to show humility to us lesser mortals.

Matt Stachoni

- some say he dines at the "Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

- regularly!!!!!

Keep posting!

TerryT
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Some of the drawings I have seen appear to have been drawn with a similar setup, without the user looking at the coordinates. 😉

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Using ADT 2004 at work; access to 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 at home
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:29:35 +0000, David_W._Koch <> wrote:

>Some of the drawings I have seen appear to have been drawn with a similar setup, without the user looking at the coordinates. 😉

LOL

Yeah. I'll admit, it takes practice.

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 12 of 18
simonlee

I have just had a look at the 2009 package and was wondering how to toggle between balck and white backgrounds, I am used to black but it seems to be white by default.

Thanks

Simon
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

options-display tab-colors
wrote in message news:5899267@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have just had a look at the 2009 package and was wondering how to toggle
between balck and white backgrounds, I am used to black but it seems to be
white by default.

Thanks

Simon
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:29:08 +0000, simonlee <> wrote:

>I have just had a look at the 2009 package and was wondering how to toggle between balck and white backgrounds, I am used to black but it seems to be white by default.

Do you want to simply change the color once, or toggle it back and forth between
black and white as required?

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 15 of 18
simonlee

I would think I might need to revert to the white sometime in the future, don't know why, but that is just me.

Thanks Nathan, managed to find it and it looks more familiar

Message was edited by: simonlee Message was edited by: simonlee
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

Show off.... Back in the 80's we use to do the top dawg awards by doing a drawing without the monitor turned on. This was popular because some of us started on systems with storage tubes (oscilloscope). We had to draw without seeing the results on the screen until we did a refresh. These refreshes took anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes so those who could draw without seeing were very valuable. Back then we were working on million dollar mainframe systems with one megabite of ram on full sized boards populated with 16k of ram each. Late in the evening we had to take out each board and push the chips back in to get the system working after about 6 hours of heating up.

You know none of this really impressed the girls. Telling stories like this was a sure fire garantee of never getting a second date. Maybe this has all changed and I should start using my assets. I could only hope that the women would listen to my stories and not look at the extra 100 lbs and receeding hairline.
Message 17 of 18
mixtup

This thread makes me laugh every time i read it. Matt, if you can seriously do that, then that IS cool. 🙂
Benson, that's a great story. Me being 'new', i like hearing about 'how it used to be'. The amount of RAM you mention is hilarious by todays standards.
If you have any more stories i'd love to hear them!
I think after reading your post some of the problems we whine about today pale in comparison. Thanks for making me appreciate what we have. 🙂
Message 18 of 18
Anonymous

Thanks. Twenty three yeas of AutoCAD and 5 years of mainframes before that sure gets you a string of stories. I am really glad that I got hooked up with AutoCAD. Way back then you were considered an expert and potential consultant if you could get a plot out. The problem is that you lost all of your design or drafting duties because everyone needed you to get their project printed. Well my stand-up act of 20 year workarounds does not feed the bulldog and I am in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to trying to apply the new releases. Stick with it and in twenty years you will have stories about 2D CAD and why we needed to have colors on the screen in the first place. Those kids will ask you what a screen was as they view thier floating images in front of them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost