AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best export of Autodesk Architecture 2011 3D model into 3D max?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
peter.menken
1908 Views, 7 Replies

Best export of Autodesk Architecture 2011 3D model into 3D max?

Hi,

we repeatedly get caught out with external 3D visualisers and our Architecture 2011 3D models.

They claim they cannot use our 3D model with walls, windows, slabs etc. and request plans, sections and elevations to redraw the lot in 3d max.

This annoys us as we have to export everything and often into previous file versions etc. which eats up a lot of time.

Our Autodesk retailer suggested FBX format but it seems that requires walls to be exported to solids or faces first?

What is the fastest and losslest way to export a 3D architecture model including materials, cameras and lights to 3D max?

I could sacrifice the lighting and camera setup as the visualiser probably has their own methods.

Thanks,

Peter

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: peter.menken

Message 3 of 8
peter.menken

I know one of the visualisers uses 3D max 2008 but I would expect them to accept newer formats if that speeds us up.

Update on the export matter:

I tried the FBX export and there seems to be a difference between the help instructions and the actual menues.

The help says go to export ->FBX. My menu doesn't have that, instead fbx come up under "other export formats". Using this the export window doesn't come up and Architecture complains there are no supported objects to export (but I definitely selected a 3D solid as part of the landscape model beforehand).

Using the FBXEXPORT command worked better, although very slow.

However, when I re-import the FBX export into Architecture, all I get is rectangular placeholders. I don't have a copy of 3D max myself so can't verify my export files but this looks suspiciously like the FBX export failing.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 8
jliston

I recently completed a project where I was continually using 3DS Max to send renderings as updates. It worked well for me on this project. I found a couple of times that I had to restart the project from scratch and reimport the ACA model. But all in all I did not have that much issue importing the model in 3DS Max 2012. I created a material library after the first problem I had and after that it would take about 5 minutes to reimport the model and add the material back to the objects. I had a specific layering scheme and used the layering in 3DS Max to quickly apply materials and continue on.

Message 5 of 8
pendean

>>>...Autodesk Architectu​re 2011 ...<<<

>>>...3D max 2008...<<<

That is most likely the problem: Autodesk tends to version-match features across the board when they do such a thing.

Message 6 of 8
Holger.Kloecker
in reply to: pendean

Dean is correct: when exporting from ACA 2011 it is recommended to open the file in 3DS Max 2011. 

You might also want to have a look at this tool provided on our Labs site:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/acad_quicksend_3dsmax/

Holger Klöcker
Message 7 of 8
peter.menken

Thanks for the replies.

It shows Autodesk is clearly missing the trick here. I can't tell external visualisers chosen by the client to upgrade to the most recent version of 3D max and along the same lines get fed up having to constantly upgrade to the annual Architecture upgrade just to keep up.

The link to the export tool looks like a step into the right direction but the tool is only recommended for the 2012 versions.

Given that Autodesk sell both Architecture and 3D max it's barking mad we have to wast time exporting our models to exploded AEC components- DWGs.

Or does the current 3Dmax open the Architecture model straight away?

(as mentioned above, I don't actually have max, I only get buggered by the visualisers and the clients complaining)

Another feedback we received was that the exported 3D model was triangulated and the edges cause odd reflections in the rendering.

Message 8 of 8
ntellery

I was handing over ADT2006 files (no conversion) straight to a guy using Max and he said the models were very good.  I think he was using 2008 or 9 max. I was exporting to 3D from an iso view but it ended up better to just take the files straight and max was reading them well.  You do get lots of extra faces though that max doesn't need.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost