AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autosave !!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
t.darcy
381 Views, 6 Replies

autosave !!!!

Why why why does the autosave feature in autocad architecture 2014 turn its self off all by its self !!!!!!! this has cost me 5 hours work !! and its not a one off this has happened before on other releases of the software.........the autosave feature is useless if it cannot be relied on !!!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ennujozlagam
in reply to: t.darcy

hi, Really? dont mind if you can post some screenshot of "options>open and save" thanks,

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 7
t.darcy
in reply to: ennujozlagam

Hi,

The open and save dialogue boax just showed that autosave was turned off......but my point is that when i turn the tick box on for autosave everything will be fine for some time, then for some reason and no warning the the tick box turns its  self off again and you only realise this when you go looking for an autosave and realise the some autocad glitch has turned it off again ....meaning lost work !! this has also happened to other users in my office ....autodesk im convinced knows about this issue but for some reason cant be bothered to fix it !!

Message 4 of 7
dgorsman

Old school users have developed the habit of typing QS (or other alias assigned to the QSAVE command) every few commands, even doing it without thinking while they are thinking about the next step to take into the drawing.  They've experienced enough dropped or crashed drawings, and in some circumstances have commands canceled because an automatic save was triggered, to depend solely on backups or autosaves.  Its a very good habit to get into, not just with AutoCAD but most of your work.

I rarely if ever depend on any kind of auto-save mechanism to save my work.  If I want the changes saved, I'll save it.  If I don't (and it does happen from time to time) then I won't.  Computers are bad at second guessing the needs of a user.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 7
pkolarik

As an "old school" user that dg mentioned, I'm constantly hitting the save button without even realizing it. It's gotten to be a habit that whenever my mouse in near the upper left of the screen, or I'm considering the next command to activate, etc., I hit "save".

I can't imagine ever working on *anything* (autocad or any software program) and not saving for 5 hours. That's just inviting disaster. (I don't even have my autosave switched on. I gave up years ago relying on that to save my work)

Message 6 of 7
MarySeufert

I've noticed that the autosave feature will be turned off after *some* crashes. I emphasize some because it will not happen every time. I haven't taken the time to analyze which commands were active during the crash to narrow it down. Autodesk may have a list of commands that suppress autosave while running which would help you figure out what is going on. I've gotten in the habit of manually reloading my saved profile and workspace after crashes to get everything back consistently.

Of course autosave will often be the source of my crashes! Smiley Mad

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 7 of 7
pendean

Publish turns off autosave for obvious reasons too.
As others have stated: not manually saving for 5-hours is a bad behavior you need to give up quickly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost