AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autosave keeps shutting off

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jorgeseptien
3270 Views, 11 Replies

Autosave keeps shutting off

The automatic save option keeps shutting off on one person in our office. She says she is not doing anything weird but all of a sudden, when she checks her autosave settings, the check box is clear. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so how do I prevent it.

Thank you in advance.

Jorge Septien
Jorge Septien
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: jorgeseptien

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:51:17 +0000, jorgeseptien <> wrote:

>She says she is not doing anything weird

Question the above statement first.

Matt
mstachoni@verizon.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

View this in person, yourself: type SAVETIME and set it to anything over 1.
Observe the user for a few minutes, check it again.

If it's off, review the commands used in the minutes since, copy/paste here.

As a test, if it's still on however, ask the user to go into BEDIT command
for at least the duration of the setting for SAVETIME, then exit. Check
SAVETIME, is it still set correctly?

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
Add-on products for LT
http://www.pendean.com/lt
--
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Jorge,
This is a long shot but is she using and lisp or macro routines? The old Softdesk programs used to turn off autosave at the start of the command and then enable it when the routine finished. This prevented the autosave from interrupting a series of commands. If you hit cancel before the command finished the autosave would remain at 0. I haven't seen this behavior since ADT was released but there could be third party apps in use.
I also agree with the other posts...I didn't do anything is code for I know exactly what I did but I'm not admitting it.
Message 5 of 12
jorgeseptien

Thank you all for your responses. I was annoyed and I had to do it so I wiped here machine. So far it is OK.

Don't know what it was. I tried the suggestion of the second person and "no" we do not use any other software.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Jorge Septien
Jorge Septien
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

If im not mistaken ACA shuts off autosave while in a publish session. If your program crashes before it is finished the Autosave will still be off.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Every now and then I have noticed our autosave gets turned off as well. We use tons of lisp routines in our office, and I would suspect that is what causes this in our case. Perhaps your user is using lisp routines that you're not aware of. You could check that. The publish command getting interrupted as the other poster mentioned sounds like a good suspect also.
Message 8 of 12
corgiriffik

I would say Hooray.........and leave it off 🙂

Disclaimer - This does not reflect the opion of Autodesk or this web site
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Happens to my 2013 ALL THE TIME.  Crashed on me 3-4x a day, sure enough.. go back and look... and its turned itself back off...  Has to be a fix for this somewhere. 

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't worry it's happened in every version for the last 8 to ten years possibly more, the only fix they seem to have is the usual cop out when IT don't know how to fix it--- blame the user !!! Happens to all our machines here, laptops and PC's, 32 bit and 64 bit, XP, Vista and windows 7 I'm guessing it would happen on windows 8 (or Vista 8 as we like to refer to it) but we are not using w8 on any machines here.

Doesn't happen to all the machines at the same time and can't figure out why it does it. One machine may do it 3 or 4 times in 1 day then be fine for a month or 2. Some times 3 or 4 machines will do it together.

Have experimented with it..... make sure it is on.. lock screen and go to lunch.., come back and sometimes it has turned off during lunch,I check the drawings that I left open and they have autosaved during the lunch break but then it has stopped working randomly during that hour.

Same happens when I experiment with it afterwork. Check that it is on, leave some files open lock machine and go home. I'm last to leave at night  (just incase someone tries to say somebody else knows my password or similar cop out). some mornings when I log back in it has turned off overnight. Usually it is spaced out far enough between turning it's self off to make you give up checking it 😉

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

i added the SAVETIME command to my startup routine.  now when autocad starts up, it sets the autosaves to 5 minutes (so even if it crashes and turns it off, when I reboot, AutoCAD turns it back on).

my autosave directory is starting to fill up.  🙂

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hah!...was happy to see your response finally at the end of this thread.  I have also found this to be a frequent problem over the years, and no good reason for Autosave to toggle off as it does.  It is very useful when working, but I think a lot of users probably stopped counting on it a long time ago.  Time to fix it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost