AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocomplete on the command line, list box cut off by screen.

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
cnewton
4300 Views, 16 Replies

Autocomplete on the command line, list box cut off by screen.

When entering a command with autocomplete on and the List option on, the list dropdown only displays two or three of the possible choices, because the list box opens below the command line, which is at the bottom of the screen. Unless I minimize acad and adjust the window to only fill part of the screen, I can't see the list. This is a shame, because it is a cool feature. It seems kind of silly to have a dialog box display off the screen. Any ideas of how to get this to either display on the screen? Here is a screen shot of how it looks at window max and widoe minimumized.

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Spillman Farmer Architects
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
MarySeufert
in reply to: cnewton

Well, I can't replicate your problem... My autocomplete list box opens to the top. I switched to the original default 'Architecture' workspace before taking this screen capture, since I don't keep my CL in that location.

ACA Command Line.pngACA is maximized, and I use a W7 Aero theme, with the taskbar set to auto-hide. Your problem might be related to your windows settings, since it looks like that is what is different between our setups.

You could try the command line at a different location. I like to keep mine at the top right of my working screen as a floating window. Gives me back some of the real estate that the ribbon eats up.

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 17
niranjan_kamath

I am also not able to reproduce the issue at my end. The list shows 6 options and it is adjusted accordingly as per the space available on the screen. Could you select the sub command under Autocomplete and set them to:

Append = Yes

List = Yes

Icon = Yes

System variables = Yes

Delay = .30

ON/OFF =ON

Secondly restore down the window by clicking the Maximize button and move it close to lower end of the screen. Now use a command and see if the list comes on top of the command line.

If none of the above helps try resetting the application to default and see if this helps. You may reset this application by selecting:

Windows Start -> All programs -> Autodesk -> AutoCAD Architecture -> Reset setting to default.

Do update me on the results or if yo need any further clarification on this issue.

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 17
raudelh
in reply to: niranjan_kamath

I am having the same issue as the original poster. Tried your suggestion except resetting to default. What exactly does resetting to default do? I am afraid of messing up something else by doing this.

Message 5 of 17
niranjan_kamath
in reply to: raudelh

I believe i am able to reproduce this issue at some instance on my system. on my test i found the following senarios may cause this issue:

senario 1:

1. if i am using a dual monitor and the secondry monitor is aligned at the bottom of the primary screen (on which the autocad is running.

2. the autocomplete list to project downward, it must identify a screen space below otherwise it will project upward.

Senario 2:

1. If the secondry screen resolution is heigher than the primary (where AutoCAD is running) will cause the autocomplete list to project down. This will break the list and will not show the complete list of command.

is this by any chance the senario at your end?

If ths is the case, you may try keeping the secondry monitor alligned to the side with resolution lower than the primary.

-----------

@ruadelh, the resetting to default will bring the autocad to factory setting. in such case you must keep a back up of all the customization before perfoming these steps. Check if the above steps mentioned in the post helps cause this was one of a clear instance that could help me reproduce the issue that you were facing.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 17
raudelh

I am using dual monitors. I was running a free trial of Actual Multiple monitors and it appears that was causung my issue.

I switched back to letting Nvidia Contral panel handle the multiple monitors and the autocomplete list now displays up instead of down. Not sure if it made any difference, but my secondary monitor (19" at 1280x1024) actually has a lower resolution than my main monitor (30" at 2560X1600).

Thanks for the help!!!!

Message 7 of 17
cnewton

My monitors are side by side with the second lower resolution on the left being for reference docs, email, etc. The main screen is for drawings. I went in to the display settings and changed back to a single monitor by unchecking extend. When I do that the list displays correctly. So the question is, how do I get them to play nicely? I am running an NVIDIA Quatro FX 1800. I am going to update the driver and try again.

I have been running dual monitors for about two years and I am spoiled and not willing to give up the gains in productivity for one feature.

Thanks for your persistance.

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Message 8 of 17
niranjan_kamath

Further to my reply the issue is reproducible in these settings. I hope this helps. (see attached image)

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 17
cnewton

In my set up, none of my autocad windows is on the second screen. Everything related to Cadd is on the Primary screen.

I updated the driver for my graphics card which produced no results.

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Message 10 of 17
niranjan_kamath

i wanted to elaborate on this issue.

i noticed that if you are running Autocad on the primary monitor and secondry is at lower resolution than primary, you will still see the issue if the secondry is aligned to the primary monotor as shown in the 3rd (lower) image. if you allign your secondry monitor as first setting (top left) , then you should be able to avoid this issue.

if this does not work, could provide me the screen shot of your display setting. (as shown in my images) 

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 17
cnewton

I think we may have a language barrier here. In your screen shot image, you refer the Main Monitor ( 1 ) as not identifying the space in this setting. By space are you referring to the command line? I am not certain of what you mean when you say "space".  You say that the main monitor identify space below, I assume by this you mean that the screen resolution of monitor (2) is less than that of monitor (1). I thought that you were referring to the command list appearing below the command line on the monitor. I am attaching screen shots of how the monitors are arranged and their settings. What should I be setting the second screen resolution to in order to solve the issue?

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Message 12 of 17
MarySeufert

It looks like the secondary monitor needs to have a 'Y' resolution less than the 'Y' resolution of your primary monitor. Since you are using your secondary monitor in portrait mode, its 'Y' is larger than the primary monitor.

You have a few options:

1. Dumb down your secondary monitor to a resolution where the 'Y' aspect of 1680 is less than or equal to 1200.

2. Change your secondary monitor to landscape mode.

3. Keep your current setup, but move your command line.

~ Mary

p.s. I too could never go back to life without dual monitors! Definately not an option.Smiley Happy

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 13 of 17
cnewton
in reply to: MarySeufert

Thanks Mary,

I tried making the Y value for Monitor (2) less than the Y of Monitor (1), but alas that does not do it. Smiley Sad

It also makes MonItor (2) less than readable.

I changed monitor (2) to landscape mode and yes, that does make the list behave correctly. Regrettably it defeats the purpose of having a portrait mode monitor with a landscape monitor. I can no longer view reference documents in portrait mode as a single document, unless I get better glasses and sit closer. It also means that it moves the second monitor to a head turn instead of a side glance.

I am resigned to living with this as it is.

It is after all, a minor inconvenience as compared to some of the other issues I could be having.

Thanks for your input, it makes it easier now to accept my fate.

Clint

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Message 14 of 17
MarySeufert

Hi Clint,

Figured it would probably make your secondary screen hard to read. Smiley Sad

One thing I didn't think about before, have you tried making your left screen the primary monitor? This might trick AutoCAD into not registering the "blank space" between the two screen resolutions.

~ Mary

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 15 of 17
cnewton
in reply to: MarySeufert

Brilliant thought!Smiley Surprised, alas Autocadd is not so easily fooled.

Also places task bar on secondary, etc.

But I am willing to try other ideas!

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Message 16 of 17
niranjan_kamath

I have seen the screen shot of your settings and I believe the issue at your end could be resolved by aligning the monitors as shown in this attached image.
Align in such a way that the bottom of both the screens matches and is on same level (see attached). You may retain the both monitor resolution as it is. Just drag your primary monitor down or move the secondary monitor up to align the base level. This should resolve the issue.

We just need to base level of each monitor to match.

Apologize for any confusion in my previous thread.

Niranjan Kamath

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 17
cnewton

Sorry but that does not work. I tried to the left, to the right, above, and below. The only thing I have found to work is to use only one monitor and as I previously stated, that is not an option. So I have to simply accept that this feature does not work for my apparatus and move on. I have already spent too much time in search of a solution.

Clint Newton III
Project Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost