i have been working on autocad for about 8 yrs and also tried revit and came out with the conclusion that THERE IS NO OTHER POWERFUL DRAFTING TOOLother than AUTOCAD ....revit is nice but if it comes to drafting our own imagination accurately AUTOCAD is the best tool....REVIT is something with which makes a newbee happy and nothing else...
Keep in mind Revit files are extremely large and cumbersom. You will find that 2x to 3x the man yours are required for the same task performed in Autocad.
The IT hardware needed to support Revit is massive, expensive to maintain, prone to failure and requires frequent add-ons to run newer versions of the program. Revit, just as much as Autocad is designed for planned obsolescense. That is, every year a new version comes out that is promoted as better. In most ways it is only different. With Autocad one can "save down" to an earlier version for coordination with consultants, for example. Revit does not allow that. Revit drawing features such stairs do not work well and when drawn are hard to edit. It is easy to cut wall sections in Revit but these do not join floor assemblies well. Much needs to be drafted over and corrected, Revit does draw nice 3D images.
Revit is masterful at producing eye wash that cannot be used in a set of construction documents other than on the cover page. This eye wash factor works well marketing Revit to firm partners who do not have to use the software. In sum, Autocad version 2000 will do 99% of what needs to be done. The other 1% can be done in Form Z or something similar.
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.