AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad Architecture vs Revit Architecture which is better ?

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
goldcamaro
12851 Views, 35 Replies

AutoCad Architecture vs Revit Architecture which is better ?

Hello to all I have a question on AutoCAD Architecture vs Revit Architecture which is better? I have recently have been laid off after 15 years plus. I currently use AutoCAD Architecture 2010 and have DataCAD experience too. I started out on Board Drafting but love the CAD side of it much better. I'm looking to enhance my CAD skills and was wondering if anyone can tell me about Revit Architecture software? I have no experience and knowledge of it. Is it any better easier to use then AutoCAD? Where I worked we did not get into the 3D side for building renderings but with the economy bad I'm looking to enhance my CAD skills to better obtain a new job! I would like to possibly take a CAD course to learn 3D rendering skills. Any input on this will be most helpful.
Thanks! DJB
35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
JayMoore
in reply to: goldcamaro

Let me guess. This "person" was in sales or marketing.

Either way, market it, advertise it, call it what you want. ACA is every bit BIM as Revit. For that matter AutoCAD is too. Unless you buy into "only" the marketing hype and message and have never really dug into the full understanding of BIM I can see where somebody would buy into that claim. But the fact is that BIM really isn't even a program, it is a process. True, select features or processes in various platforms lend themselves to more BIM-like qualities but you have to get outside of the old CAD-box. BIM occurs when various disciplines, products, platforms are successfully linked in a process to enhance the overall product development cycle of a structure. That is BIM. In fact, it really should not be called Building Information Modeling a more appropriate name would for the greater good and cycle would be Building Information Management.

A model by itself is relatively useless (when considering it for measurable ROI) to the build cycle without the ability to extract and use the "information" to benefit other disciplines.
Message 22 of 36
jmcintyre

Revit has some nice integrated documentation tools. Other than that the main differance I can see is, all project information is contained within one file with revit, whereas it's contained within a number of files in ACA (unless it's a small project).
Message 23 of 36
Anonymous

<..all project information is contained within one file with revit..>

How is that done when the design team (architects, engineers, etc.) consists
of many entities not within the same firm?
-Brian

wrote in message news:6260787@discussion.autodesk.com...
Revit has some nice integrated documentation tools. Other than that the main
differance I can see is, all project information is contained within one
file with revit, whereas it's contained within a number of files in ACA
(unless it's a small project).
Message 24 of 36
ToanDN

Everything can be in one file. But not necessary. You can have various files that link together just like Xrefs.
Message 25 of 36
mrdavie

Has anybody seen that episode of The Woodwright's Shop where he visits this wood window manufacturing factory where all the tools are powered by pullies and straps? It is amazing how accurately the window frames are fabricated. Although I have always embraced new technology and consider myelf to stand closer to the early adopters than the late adopters of new technology, I wonder how much time I have wasted over the past thirtyfive years figuring out how to do something better that to just do it the same old way.

Being out of a job and wanting to improve the odds of getting one by honing technical skills is no fun. I've been there and I'm glad I have avoided it so far in this economy. I am sure that those who have jobs are more stressed at the thought losing their job that those who have lost them. I think time spent looking for a job is far more important than time learning Revit.
Message 26 of 36
fahad.livestrong
in reply to: mrdavie

i have been working on autocad for about 8 yrs and also tried revit and came out with the conclusion that THERE IS NO OTHER POWERFUL DRAFTING TOOLother than AUTOCAD ....revit is nice but if it comes to drafting our own imagination accurately AUTOCAD  is the best tool....REVIT is something with which makes a newbee happy and nothing else...

Message 27 of 36
shepford

Keep in mind Revit files are extremely large and cumbersom. You will find that 2x to 3x the man yours are required for the same task performed in Autocad.

The IT hardware needed to support Revit is massive, expensive to maintain, prone to failure and requires frequent add-ons to run newer versions of the program. Revit, just as much as Autocad is designed for planned obsolescense. That is, every year a new version comes out that is promoted as better. In most ways it is only different. With Autocad one can "save down" to an earlier version for coordination with consultants, for example. Revit does not allow that. Revit drawing features such stairs do not work well and when drawn are hard to edit. It is easy to cut wall sections in Revit but these do not join floor assemblies well. Much needs to be drafted over and corrected, Revit does draw nice 3D images.

Revit is masterful at producing eye wash that cannot be used in a set of construction documents other than on the cover page. This eye wash factor works well marketing Revit to firm partners who do not have to use  the software. In sum, Autocad version 2000 will do 99% of what needs to be done. The other 1% can be done in Form Z or something similar.    

Message 28 of 36
Jebb8903
in reply to: shepford

I'm surprised you did not mention the main advantage of Revit, parameterisation. While in AutoCAD, when drawings are modified, coherence is lost with elevations, with details and amounts of work. Instead Revit updated instantaneously all. In addition, the parameterization is only required to change a value to change the other parts of the drawing. This does not work in this way with AutoCAD.

Message 29 of 36
longstrip
in reply to: Jebb8903

With AutoCAD architecture the same is done.

Message 30 of 36

I like your opinion

Message 31 of 36
rodcav

Nothing could be further from the truth..Revit offers a complete 2D and 3D workflow in additional to information management..far suprerior to ACA in my experience. The user interface has quite a few similarities ..so if you know AC or ACA it shouldn't be difficult to make the transition.
Revit is a far more robust platform than ACA ..and maximizes your time and efforts 

Message 32 of 36
rodcav
in reply to: clauspkinder

No Ac will always have its place in the industries

Revit however will continue to grow and serve its purpose. They both get the job done..much of its use will depend on whom you work with, and their office preferences

Message 33 of 36
Famaice

Hi Jebb8903,

No matter you used to work with ACA or REVIT (or Archicad, Nemetchek,...), what is your main goal when you (or the design team) use such products ?

In my opinion, the goal is to produce documentations (electronic or not) for customer, authorities and suppliers. to plan, estimate, decide and build.

And in practice, your team collaborate with supliers who work with their dedicated softwares (TEKLA, PRo-E, PDMS, CADENAS, SolidWorks/Catia, ...). 

About parametrics : use with caution. My advice is to well check effects after changing a value to avoid clash and future problems at work. 

BR

Fabrice

Message 34 of 36
Famaice
in reply to: longstrip

Smiley Happy

i guess but How  to (for rookies) ?

Message 35 of 36
brian_adams
in reply to: Famaice

Well this topic make me suffer:))) Because Autodesk simply don't developing ACA already,only had puting-in some new features. And Revit has more powerful 3d-engine and bigger number of capabilities by default and of course incrising number of folowers .Revit this is new level of BIM to my opinion.  But my choise on the side of ACA till now because AUTOCAD ARCH it is like space station. If needs some moduls....you are wellcome. I only hope that  such diamond  like ACA in a crown of AUTODESK will not be entaerly abandoned by developers. 

Message 36 of 36
gjcost

Jebb;

It's my understanding that with the newer versions of AutoCAD Architecture, you CAN set up and draw so that one change will update all throughout your project files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost