AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Architecture running very slow

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
amystephens
879 Views, 3 Replies

Autocad Architecture running very slow

I'm running Autocad Architecture 2013 on a Inspiron 15 7000 series:

-Windows 8.1

Intel Core i7-4510u CPU @ 2.0 GHz

-8.0 GB memory

-64 bit operating system

I have a 80 MB file with lots of walls, doors, windows, and trees.  When I publish, it takes about 40 minutes to create 5 pages (2 pages plans, 2 pages with 4 elevation viewports, 1 page with 1 perspective view).  If I open task manager when publishing, I've noticed the "Memory" and "Disk" max out (or stay close to maxing out.)

Autocad also runs pretty slowly in general, especially with the trees unfrozen.

I'm not up to speed when it comes to computer hardware.  Is this something I can fix by adding/replacing hardware?  Is this something I might help by using an external hard drive to store files?  Is this something that will remain a problem as long as I'm on this laptop?

I appreaciate any help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sean.mcinnes
in reply to: amystephens

From my experience you are better off finding out which element is so resource hungry and trying to find an alternative that works. It is normally the trees or some overly dense hatch pattern.
Message 3 of 4
pendean

In addition to the other tips, your PC specs are what we daily AutoCAd users would consider bottom-of-the-specs for 80MB files. Dell calls your laptop "For home and home office", aka light use, but with options you did not pick up.

16G Ram is minimum (your laptop seem capable of that), 3Ghz speed recommended or close to it (2.9 but not 2.0), SSD or uber-high speed harddrives matter (your laptop appears chugging along with a 5400rpm low speed drive), as is a good graphics card (might be what you have).

It may not be worth buying more ram alone with your system, but it would not hurt either. Good luck, 80MB files need higher end desktop workstations to work at a decent speed.
Message 4 of 4
KathyMoffa

Make sure to purge (-Purge from the command line) anything you don't need, in particular, REGAPPS.   Also run a recover to remove any possible errors.    I would also test the size of a drawing with just the trees.  You might also try inserting your drawing into a new drawing (insert with explode checked and specifiy origin unchecked), and see if the new drawing size is smaller.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost