AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Architecture for Residential Builders

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1107 Views, 10 Replies

Autocad Architecture for Residential Builders

Anyone here uses tAA to create plans for builders? Do you use the full BIM features of the software?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
John.W.Mumaw
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, and mostly.  That is, yes we use ACA to produce construction drawings, and yes we use the bim features as much as we're comfortable with and as much as seems to make sense.  First and foremost that includes scheduling, but also the project management features, tagging, sections, elevations, etc.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Lost Bent Woodworking & Design
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: John.W.Mumaw

Thank you for replying John,

I manage a design department at a production builder and we started using AA2015, I want to make sure we take full advantage of what the software can offer us...I don't know where to start....

Raul

Message 4 of 11
John.W.Mumaw

Hi Raul,

We're not on 2015 since we use an add-on for timber framing that lags a little with releases.  We tend to stay a year behind.  But, when we started using this, we incorporated a few features at a time as we became comfortable with them.  As I mentioned in my reply the scheduling features should be one of the first things you incorporate.  There are good books out there, Paul Aubin's Mastering Autocad Architecture is one I used extensively.  I believe the last version was for 2010 but there hasn't been that much added that will affect your workflow since then. These days there are plenty of videos and tutorials on the web.  I would encourage you to use things out of the box as much as possible while you get used to it.  One of the big decisions is whether or not to use the project navigator.  We use it and are happy with it, and many of the features of ACA depend on it's being used.  Others in this discussion group claim that it's overkill for residential work.  I'd encourage you to give it a try before discarding it.  Good luck and post back with specific questions as you need to.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for the info - I will buy the book you reccommended.

A few specific questions (if you don't mind)

*Do you use the sheet page setup?

*Do you draw the exterior elevations, roof, etc 2d or use the line work generated by AA?

Thanks for your time

Message 6 of 11
John.W.Mumaw

We do use sheets (if that's what you're asking).  Actually for construction drawings we use them, for shop drawings we usually use just constructs and views. Although we probably need to review this.

We do use the generated sections, elevations, etc. although we edit them first and sometimes we'll copy them, explode the copies and use the originals as underlays.  Years ago we exploded more often, nowadays as our modeling is better we use them intact but edited more often.  As you use them over time there are techniques both in modeling and editing that you learn that gradually make them more useable if they are intact and able to be updated as changes are made.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer
Message 7 of 11
ntellery

I'm one who thinks the Project Navigator is overkill for residential and because I do lots of renders it's much easier in the one file. However I agree with John to definitely get to understand the PN so you know what it is and what it can do.  It does have some clever tools.  I would use it on larger commercial projects (maybe).  It's also can be useful for more than one user

I also learned with Paul Aubin's book.

I have developed my own lisp to use layers for levels 1-wall etc and turn levels off/on via layers so I cannot have layers in my blocks (which is fine by me). I fully model most everything and use elevations and sections (some overdubs on sections). I also use for room / cabinet layouts etc.

I will share + sample if you ask.  I've found it much more efficient but I still use x-ref's.

For sheets I use the tabs in the same drawing (paperspace) and have autogeneration of title blocks etc but not thru sheet sets (which are separate drawings and via the PN).  I use fields & variables to store values like floor levels etc.

Schedules are definetely the first thing to learn.  David Koch has the goods.  

http://architects-desktop.blogspot.com/2006/08/adt-schedule-feature-resources.html

I use door & window tags but I don't need to schedule but it's easy to add.

I don't need quantities but once you learn schedules they are quite good. You can even schedule acad items like lines and blocks. (I do for landscaping plans).

Many tips and a free guide at archidigm.com    http://www.archidigm.com/classroom/adt_4_development_guide/adt_5_dg_cover.htm

Autodesk university has lots of good video's on ADT/ACA.

Elevations/Sections- Our aussie style is very simple these days so not much detail to model. Makes sections and elevations easier to not explode to linework.  The more you model, the less you need to explode. I would rarely explode but at times it's a pain getting the modelling right. 

For eg. on sections, I no longer model the footings/ ceilings and just add them in on the section ie, the only place they appear. Makes the model easier to handle.  I do fully model all the cabinets, tiling etc though.

If you are in the US. I know you have to do a lot more detail, for timber floors, walls, even roofs.

John's other advice is a great tip.  Use out of the box where you can.  So many heavily customise and give themselves a headache. Although I still customise, I have moved back to closer to OOTB and now that I understand, only change what I need to.  I now use OOTB aec standard.stb which I think is the bees knees but you will prob have an office std.  It's the most sensible I think.

Sounds like you are setting up a new system so it might be a great time to drop older outdated practises and establish more efficient ones. for e.g., the colour dependant plot styles for one no longer make any sense.

Keep your styles settings byblock and they will fit anywhere. Control by layer AMAP.  If you go programming in special colours/thickness/layers, you make maintenance a lot more difficult but again, you probably have an office std to adhere to and bosses to please.

Archidigm.com's content for example is set to ByBlock and should fit straight in to most systems.

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ntellery

Great links and good info - thank you
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ntellery

Would you mind sharing a project with me so I can see what the model/setup looks like? Thanks in advance.

Raul
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

John, would you mind sharing a project (dwg or pdf) to view how you have it setup? Thanks
Message 11 of 11
John.W.Mumaw

Hi Raul,

Most of my projects contain client specific information that I'm not really at liberty to share but if you want to contact me offline I'll try to help as best I can.  My email is my first name at lostbent dot com.

John

John W. Mumaw
Timber Frame Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost