AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture and Wacom Tablets

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
37943 Views, 13 Replies

AutoCAD Architecture and Wacom Tablets

My sister is an AutoCad user for architecture drawings.  I would like to get her a Wacom tablet for Christmas.  Is there one that anyone would be best for AutoCad for architecture?  Or is this not a good idea?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Others may disagree, but tablets don't really offer much usability to CAD users over a mouse. 

They are best used for 'sketchy' or freehand kind of input. Like if she enjoyed painting in photoshop or making free form digital art. Maybe if she has one, she'll give that sort of thing a try?

But if you get her one, make sure it's a big one!

BT

Message 3 of 14
RvW000

I have used ACAD for more than 25 years. I started on ACAD 9 (not 2009). It was DOS based. We initially used large format CALCOMP tablets with their 8 button wireless mouse, which in 1985 probably cost the same as a car. Eventually ACAD moved onto a windows/mouse platform which didn't work very well with with the PS2 mouse.It felt like you were push the cursor through treacle.  I have to say that I have been waiting patiently for 20 years for Draughting/ACAD to go full circle. CALCOMP is still around and I imagine that their response is still far superior to the standard mouse control. I still have one tucked away in the loft of my borther's garage. I look forward to the day that we are drawing with a pen on a touch screen like a WACOM, left hand slide zoom etc. Like an electronic drawing board. Does anyone know if this has been achieved? I've tried to google Autodesk/Wacom, but only get SketchPro information. I travel with my business as architect and my advice is...laptop with biggest high res screen  and max RAM you can lay your hands on....and stay with the mouse for now. Maybe the windows SURFACE with get us closer.....don't hold your breath

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: RvW000

Would love to try the new Wacom and may just take my laptop down and drive a store manager crazy as I spend hours setting it up for AutoCAD and seeing how it works. Started AutoCAD in 1988, release 10 when it fit on a singe floppy. Tried to explain to my 9 year old with a keen interest in CAD about our old tablets the size of a drawing board, but not sure if he could picture it as he has never seen a drafting table either. Let me know if you find any useful information about what tablet is actually more useful than a mouse. BTW: drop the mouse and try Logitech Trackman Cordless Optical Mouse. You should only pay about $80 for one, so not sure why they are advertised at over $350 on Amazon, but have found them at the standard $80. They are the best there is says my entire company that will use nothing else.

Mark
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I just bought a Wacom Intuos medium. I am testing it out as I have acquired tendenitous (rsi) and am seeking to do less clicking. I have only used it for a couple of hours and have noticed two things thus far:

1) I think I'm either going to return it for the small or keep the medium and virtually reduce the input surface area (I would do this only if I find that I'm going to use the tablet to trace images ontop of it, in which case a larger tablet would indeed be useful). But for typical mouse usage, smaller is better as you move your hand less in order to traverse the screen.

2) It's probably all about the pen. If I can find a way to zoom in/out etc with the buttons/taps etc... this is probably the better way to go.

I am not sure if it's because of the RSI (tendenitous) of what, but I am feeling much more comfortable with the way the cursor moves around the screen. I recommend trying it out, and personalizing the pen (I wonder if I can get a cheap tablet and a really expensive pen?) 

If anyone has more experience than I and can talk about configuring the pens to zoom/orbit/drag etc with the least amount of pressure/tendon-friction, please advise. (perhaps this should be a new topic..?)

Thanks.

Message 6 of 14
RvW000

Happy to hear that I am not alone. I also bought a medium Intuos thinking that bigger was better, but it is now back in the box and waiting to be posted to anyone who would have it. My brain went into overdrive. The tablet is too large for the wrist action and the concentration required for the co-ordination between hand and screen is toooo much! I agree that the smaller pad would probably work, but then again you woudn't be able to make full brush strokes if you were using it for anything more than an ACAD input device.

For the moment, until we have full a A1 touch screen interface and a pen input like a electonic drawing board, you are prbably better off with the best standard optical mouse on the market.

Message 7 of 14
danuco

Message 8 of 14
danuco

Not really windows suck...get a MAC...I',m also an Architect and if you want perfomance big resolution drop your useless windows,...also get a tablet not for CAD as it is more for freehand drawings and sketches...For conceptual and diagrams when it comes to architecture.   Wacom work for fine artist and all the unprecise people.

Message 9 of 14
brianraymondstauffer

Message 10 of 14
maurogomaz
in reply to: danuco

MAC - ****

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

las tablet wacom son realmente util con autocad?

@Anonymous wrote:

Others may disagree, but tablets don't really offer much usability to CAD users over a mouse. 

They are best used for 'sketchy' or freehand kind of input. Like if she enjoyed painting in photoshop or making free form digital art. Maybe if she has one, she'll give that sort of thing a try?

But if you get her one, make sure it's a big one!

BT

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Hi,

I have currently use wacom 13HD interactive pen display. You can create digital artwork by editing and drawing animations. Its design is compact, lightweight and comfotable.

For more details check: Best Wacom Tablet

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I'm just getting back into Autocad LT 2000. Before I had a calcomp and used the tablet overlay. I got rid of my calcomp several years ago but just bought another 12x22 on ebay. I have been using an intous 4. I have not used it with the lt2000 and have been waiting on the calcomp. With acad overlay and the calcomp you had commands that could be placed with the overlay. I don't think you have this with the intous. Another question for me will the calcomp run on windows 8.1 (I can put it on a vista but would rather not).
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Hi, I'm just wondering to hear from you though you asked in 2010, now 2017, Wacom got developed their position #1 in drawing tablet world. I'm using Wacom Cintiq 22 HD and very happy to draw any idea. I got some suggestion about the best wacom tablets from an expert drawing advisor. Now I'm a mid-level artist. Thanks to all!

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost