AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad Architecture 2013 Drawing Previous Version AEC Objects

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
ldharchitects
702 Views, 1 Reply

AutoCad Architecture 2013 Drawing Previous Version AEC Objects

I am using AutoCad Architecture 2013. When I open the program, a blank drawing is opened up with an error message.  "Open Drawing - Previous Version AEC Objects..."  Then further description "This drawing was last saved with an earlier version of the software." 

It is a new drawing so I don't understand why it is opening with a previous version.  Perhaps everything did not migrate properly from 2012.  How do I fix this? Should I reinstall the 2013 software? I want to get it resolved before I download 2014 because I assume that it will migrate the same issues. 

Thanks,

LDH

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

If you chose to migrate settings from a previous release when you first ran ACA 2013, and included template files in the migration, then your template file is likely from a previous release, and, for 2013, that means a previous file format.  Every time you create a new file, you are starting with a previous format template file, which is why you are getting the nag screen.

I personally dislike the migration feature and never use it.  But, I can see where it could be useful to someone who makes an occasional tweak to the out-of-the-box settings but does not keep track of all those tweaks and, when a new version is installed, does not want to be bothered trying to remember all of the changes and making them all over again.  For some new releases, the out-of-the-box files are sufficiently similar that migration does not pose any problems.  But when they make significant changes - such as a new file format, add new features to the display system (like layer keying) or add tools for new features to the ribbon, if you migrate all your old settings you will lose out on the new stuff.

If you keep your customizations to the CUIX file in a custom partial CUIX file, you can bring those forward while still using the new, out-of-the-box ACA.cuix and get the new stuff.  If you keep your changes to the ACAD.pgp file at the end, you can easily copy them and paste them into the one from the new release.  If you document any changes you make to the out-of-the-box template file (including display setttings), you can evaluate what is in the new release and, if merited, start with a copy of the new out-of-the-box file and transfer/recreate your customizations there.

At the very least, you could open your 2013 template file (not start a new drawing with it, but open the DWT file) and then save it from 2013, which would then convert the file to the 2013 format (assuming your default save format is 2013), and eliminate that alert message every time you start a new file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost