AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Architecture 2009 crashes when opening a file created in 2012

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
dennisdkdesign
355 Views, 1 Reply

AutoCAD Architecture 2009 crashes when opening a file created in 2012

I work with a national company that creates criteria drawings for new projects. They recently changed to the 2012 version but they save it down to 2007. There has not been an issue with opening files with my 2009 version until recently. All of the computers in our office are unable to open these new files, although they claim nothing has changed. My CAD will pop up a fatal error and shut down whenever I attempt to open the new files. I downloaded the 2013 trial version and saved the file down to the older version, but that does not work either. Newer versions do not seem to be affected by the files, just my 2009 version. I tried creating a new file in 2013 and saved down to 2007 format. When I try to open it 2009 there is no issue. Do you have any ideas on where to start with this issue, besides purchasing a new version of AutoCAD?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Unfortunately, acquiring the appropriate version of ACA is your only recourse.  Since 2004, Autodesk has changed the file format every three releases (years).  While many AutoCAD objects can be saved back to a previous release and still function, this is not the case with AEC (AutoCAD Architecture) objects.  In order to be able to share files with fully-functional AEC objects, you have to be using a version that uses the same file format as those with whom you are sharing.  The 2004, 2005 and 2006 releases all use the 2004 format.  The 2007, 2008 and 2009 releases all use the 2007 format.  The 2010, 2011 and 2012 releases all use the 2010 format.  The 2013 release uses the 2013 format (and, if they maintaiin the previous pattern, so will the 2015 and 2016 releases).

The national company could turn on proxy objects and save the file to 2007 format from 2012, but you would only be able to see the AEC objects, not edit them, and you also would not be able to use any of the ACA commands (which will be disabled upon detection of objects in a later format).  They could "Export to AutoCAD 2007", but that would explode all the AEC objects in the file, which is not likely what you want, either.  If you need to exchange files with this company and both need to edit AEC objects, you need to be using 2010, 2011 or 2012 if they are using 2012.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost