AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Arch. 2011 extremely slow

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
521 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD Arch. 2011 extremely slow

Hello everyone,

I want to work on some AutoCAD  DWG files that I created in ACAD Arch. 2010 two years on on ACAD Arch. 2011. But when I open them, the program slows down so much, that simple tasks such as panning, deleting, or even saving is painfully slow.

I'm pretty sure it cannot be my system, because my HP Z600 Workstation specs are as follows:

RAM - 16 GB

Processor - XENON E5645 @ 2.4 GHz

OS - Win 7

Graphics - NVidia/PNY Quadro 600

In some forums I have read that the NView can get in the way. Others say the network or anti-virus can get in the way. I download Process Manager, and it did indicate that ACAD.exe had "Access Denied" errors. I'm not sure what exactly is the issue. My VIEWRES is at 10,000.

Dean Sadallah in one post said, things like Aero Desktop can reduce the speed of the program. I honestly am fed up with ACAD, and this is my last attempt to fix the program.

Can someone help me with a logical order of things to do to get this issue fixed please?

Thank you,

Anthony

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

post a dwg file with this problem: likely not to be aca2011 we all have, but you never know... .

did you "migrate" from 2010 when you ran 2011?

did this problem just show up?

was 2010 ever installed on this PC?

do you just need to get rid of errant scalelists in the files?

of that long list of things to try, what did you do? you mention nothing about doing any.

do any other files have this problem, better define "some"? if it was the program it would do it in ALL files, not "some".

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hello Dean,

1. No, I did not migrate settings when I installed ACAD Arch. 2011. I drew this plans on my laptop which had ACAD Arch 2010. I then moved the files to an external HD, formatted my laptop, moved them back there. Now I moved it to my new machine. I dont know if the file changing locations had anything to do with the file getting slow to repond.

2. The issue with panning, saving, and rotating/orbiting was observed yesterday when I opened this file almost after an year or more.

3. ACAD Arch. 2010 was just installed on my new machine. Before that it was never installed.

4. I dont understand what you mean by errant scalelists Dean. I'm trying to build a 3D model of this building, and I thought of using ACAD Arch 2010 since its material editor is easier to work with than the 2011.

5. This is what I have done so far:

A. I installed an update for ACAD Arch. 2010 and 2011. The drawings I have are all old (1 year +).  So the short answer is yes, all these old files are taking a long time to repond, especially when I change views from 2D to 3D.

B. I also installed Process Monitor, and a log of the activities are attached here.

After the installation of the updates, the programs have slightly improved. Panning and saving are back to normal speeds. But when I try to do a 3D orbit, the programs (ACAD Arch. 2010 and 2011) are still very slow.

I'm going to try some other suggestions and see what happens.

Message 4 of 6
pendean

Your heart shaped spaces spin in ORBIT just fine here in 2011 and 2012 (desktop, not laptop): even when shaded.

Now your EDU file is reporting missing XREFs so perhaps that load is the slowdown cause?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Hello again Dean,

Thanks for checking out the file I attached. I didn't use XREFs when I drew this plan. But what I did use were those intelligent objects, such as walls, doors, and windows. I dont know if those components use any form of XREfing system, and if thats whats causing the slowness.

Now I'm thinking, that because the file has just lines, like  in traditional drafting, mixed with intelligent objects, could this be somehow causing this slowness. Do you think this might be case?

What would you suggest I do to maybe clean up the drawing and get rid of those Xrefs? Is it possible to convert this file just to plain lines, and get rid of the intelligent objects?

Thanks,

Anthony

Message 6 of 6
pendean

Like I wrote, there is no slowdown here, so it's not your file that's the cause.

The missing Xrefs are actually data linked files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost