AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Autocad 2015 does not open some earlier version dwg files

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
WM3D
1995 Views, 15 Replies

Autocad 2015 does not open some earlier version dwg files

I've recently installed stand-alone 2015 Autocad Architecture on Windows 8.1 (64 bit). I have files that were created with earlier versions, such as 2009 thru 2012 Autocad Architecture. I can open some of the 2012 and earlier version files, but not without using the recover command in the drawing utilities menu. Even then, some of the drawing's data is missing or still will not open. I've tried other suggestions that I found in the troubleshooting section to fix the problem, but they don't work either. How do I fix this?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
pendean
in reply to: WM3D

RECOVER and RECOVERALL commands are there to help for that reason.
Can you better define what's missing and how do you know it's missing?
Message 3 of 16
pendean

Forgot to add: did you by chance install SP2 for 2015?
Message 4 of 16
WM3D
in reply to: pendean

You see... I really don't know if anything is missing. When I try opening the file, there's like a quick flash as if there may be a new window opening, but it doesn't. Then the file name ends up on the recently open list even though it didn't open.

Yesterday, I was able to open an archived file that I created when I first started using Autocad R14 without any problems and everything was there.

Try to open the attached file using ACA 2015 if you can. The xrefs are not included because I cannot determine what they are because the file doesn't open for me. This may provide with an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Message 5 of 16
WM3D

I have installed SP2 already
Message 6 of 16
David_W_Koch

I was not able to open this file in ACA 2010, 2014 or 2015 without recovery.  In 2010 and 2015, 1623 errors were found, 5 objects were erased.  2014 crashed during the recovery.  Selecting one of the layout tabs (A02?) crashed both 2010 and 2015.  Before the crash in 2015, I tried to save the recovered file, and got an AutoCAD Message stating:  "One or more objects in this drawing cannot be saved to the specified format.  The operation was not completed and no file was created."

In the recovered file, most of the layers had been renamed $AUDIT_BAD_LAYER....  There were a lot of $RECOVER... block definitions that were available to be purged.  I did not see any model space graphics (but did not explore it in great detail); there were a lot of things that were drawn in (or recovered to) the layouts.

This file has sustained serious damage, unless damaged occurred either when attached to the Discussion Groups or when I downloaded it.  I have not had problems opening old file in more recent releases in general, so I am going to suggest the problem lies with the file, and not with the program.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 16
WM3D
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Yes David, I'm inclined to agree. The problem is the file and not the program. Thanx much.
Message 8 of 16
info
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I've got a similar problem. I have a client through a third party and I always have problems with their files. I'm attaching a sample. I can open it with Autocad 2014, but not with 2015. I always have to convert the files to dxf before I can get them to open with 2015. Any help would be appreciated and save me a lot of trouble.

Message 9 of 16
info
in reply to: info

When I try to Recover, my Autocad just freezes up. Same thing when I try to open the file. I have to force a shut down every time.

Message 10 of 16
David_Knight

I was able to open the file in 2015 without any problems.

once open there were alot of missing XREF's and it said it was missing a standards file.

i wonder if yoru XREF's are causing the problem?

specifically "-back.dwg"

Message 11 of 16
pendean

Uninstalling SP2 from 2015s seems to cure this issue for more users than not: try it.
Message 12 of 16
info

I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 16

i am having problems opening older xreffed drgs. i have  a project which i started in R2015 and xreffed a title sheet which probably is a few years old. i started this project a few months ago and now i want to go bacck into it but it doesn't want to open on 2015 but will in 2014. could it be SP2 for 2015  causing the problem. if so i need a work around. maybe uninstall SP2 or maybe its the title sheet iam using - should i df this to 2015 drg. Help please

Message 14 of 16
info
in reply to: robertgardner

Sounds like the same problem I was having. I would suggest uninstalling sp2. That worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 15 of 16
robertgardner

I actually found that it was the fonts used in the drawings

I downloaded the font fix and everything was ok then

Regards

Rob Gardner

Mobile 0418 522709
Message 16 of 16

What is the font fix?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost