AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2013 - Using one 3D model and manipulating it in another file

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
blissmx
261 Views, 2 Replies

AutoCAD 2013 - Using one 3D model and manipulating it in another file

I have created a 3D model in AutoCAD 2013 Arch and am curently laying out construction drawings from that model.

Is there a way to create a model, save that file, open a new file with the original linked to it and allow me to 'explode' that new linked model for various drawings.

Now here's the catch, once I have the second version of the model expolded, i want to be able to manipulate the original model and have the second file reflect those manipulations, even if the pcs being manipulated is not in it's original position (in it's exploded location)

I hope that makes sencse.

Any thoughs would be apreaciated. 

-Bliss

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Laks-Autodesk
in reply to: blissmx

You may use the XATTACH command to attach a drawing file to an existing drawing. For instance, if you xattach A.dwg into B.dwg, changes you make to A.dwg will be reflected in B.dwg when you reload the xref A.dwg in B.dwg. The drawing A is externally referenced in drawing B. You may break this link or 'explode' it by using the XREF > bind option so the external reference is bound to the drawing as a block reference. The block may then be exploded to its components using EXPLODE or XPLODE commands. However, once the link is broken by binding the external reference (xref) into the current drawing, the changes made to the external reference won't be reflected in the current drawing.

I'm not sure about your workflow - why you want to reference a file to have a link, explode it and then want to link again to the previous reference file (linked drawing). Could you provide me some examples?

Regards,
Lakshminarasimhan Seshadri
Autodesk
Message 3 of 3
blissmx
in reply to: Laks-Autodesk

I think you've answered my question.

It looks like there is a tempoary solution; however, once I start breaking apart B.dwg, my linking or ablity to modify both models via A.dwg is lost.

Thanks for the assistance.

-Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost