AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2013 - Cannot open database - AecDtlComponents

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
7010 Views, 25 Replies

Autocad 2013 - Cannot open database - AecDtlComponents

I am getting an error when I try to use my detail components.

It said it cannot find the AecDtlComponents (US).mbd.  I have found the database and opened it up. It looks fine.

When I go into my options under AEC content I add a "Detail Component Database" it said "cannot open database... AecDtlComponents.mbd"

An imgae of the error is attached below.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or does anyone have a solution of how to install the database?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I have another user who just got a new computer and we have ACA 2010 and ACA 2014 installed on it.  ACA 2014 has no problems with the Detail Component Manager, but ACA 2010 cannot open the databases.  

I have tried the fixes in this Autodesk Knowledge Network article:

1.  The database files exist in the expected folders.  For 2010, our databases are on each local machine in the default installation folder.

2.  Options > AEC Content > Add/Remove button:  On my computer, selecting this button opens the Configure Detail Component Databases dialog immediately, and lists the UK and US databases and path.  On the problem machine, the program hangs for a considerable time, and finally displays the "Cannot open database" error dialogs, one for the UK database and one for the US database.  At this point, a blank Configure Detail Component Databases dialog is displayed.  I try to use the Add button and navigate to the location of either of the files, but the computer hangs for a considerable time again, before displaying the cannot open dialog.  I have tried copying the database files from my computer to the problem computer, but ACA 2010 is still unable to read the databases.

3.  I have tried switching profiles, to no avail.

4.  I have run the registry fix attached to an earlier post in this thread, which has worked on other machines where the problem was in ACA 2014.  It did not fix ACA 2010 on the problem machine.

5.  I have repaired ACA 2010, to no avail.

6.  I have uninstalled .NET Framework 4.5.2 (only version on the computer) and reinstalled it (rebooting in between).  This did not fix the problem.  Would ACA 2010 need an earlier version of .NET Framework for the Detail Component Manager to work?  I suspect not, as my computer works just fine, and I only have 4.5.2 on my computer.

7.  I have done a full uninstallation/removal of ACA 2010, including deleting leftover folders and registry settings.  I do not wipe out the entire Autodesk folder, as there are other Autodesk product installed on the computer, but I do remove the ACA 2010 folders.  Reinstalling the program did not fix the problem.

I have read numerous other threads and noted claims that opening DesignCenter first fixed the problem, or deleting the ACA.mnr file and then opening the program worked.  I have not yet tried either of these, but may do so the next time I have access to the problem machine, despite my doubts.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on things to try?  I would rather not ask IT to wipe and rebuild the machine, if at all possible, since it is a very recently deployed computer.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 22 of 26
David_W_Koch

I had another case where ACA 2014 and 2010 were both installed on a computer, and the detail component databases would not load in 2010, but did in 2014.  I tried all the previously listed fixes, including uninstalling a clean reinstallation of 2010, to no avail.  The user was out of the office today, so I had more time and I uninstalled both 2014 and 2010 completely (Windows uninstallation, registry key deletions, residual folder deletions) and, for good measure, also uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2.

I then reinstalled ACA 2010 and tested it, and it was able to read the databases.  I checked the registry settings that the aec1.reg file attached to a previous post in this thread includes, and the values were similar.  The only difference was in the InprocServer32 RuntimeVersion, which was v2.0.50727.  I reinstalled ACA 2014, and tested it, and it was also able to read the databases.  The InprocServer32 RuntimeVersion now matched that of the registry file.  Best of all, in the ultimate test, I was still able to open ACA 2010 and have the detail component databased read.  So it appears to be fixed on that computer.  My theory is that uninstalling and reinstalling ACA 2010 while 2014 was installed prevented whatever bad setting or corrupt file that caused the issue from being cleared/replaced.  Uninstalling and then reinstalling both allowed that setting/file to be fixed.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 23 of 26
David_W_Koch

I had installed ACA 2016 on my own computer "directly" from the installation screen, and had no database problems.  I created a deployment, for office-wide installation, and tested the deployment on a few machines.  Each one was unable to read the databases (for details or keynotes); I got an error dialog in 2016:

DatabaseErrorMessage_ACA2016.png

We have ACA 2010 and ACA 2014 installed on the computers.  The 2016 deployment breaks the ability to read the databases in all three programs.  Running the AEC1.reg file fixes the error and allows the databases to be read in 2014 and 2016 , but NOT 2010.  We have some customizations for specific clients in 2010 that have not yet been migrated to 2014/2016, so I am not able to just uninstall 2010 at the moment.  I will see if uninstalling all three versions and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2, then reinstalling Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 and all three versions resolves the issue on my text machine.  But I cannot be doing that to more than one hundred machines.  Must I delay the 2016 deployment until after we can drop 2010?

The 2014 deployment did not seem to break the ability to read the Detail Component and Keynote databases on all of our computers, but the 2016 deployment had done so on all three computers on which I have tried it.  I suppose I can try creating another deployment from scratch, to see if that helps.  Any advice anyone has would be most welcome.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 24 of 26
David_W_Koch

It just so happens that I am slated for a new computer, and the new machine is now on the network (but not at my desk).  It has our current standard installs of ACA 2010 and 2014 (and AMEP 2010 and 2014).

I remoted into it, and checked to see if I was able to read the Detail Component databases.  I ran ACA 2010 first, and I was not able to do so.  I closed it, ran the AEC1.reg file and re-ran ACA 2010.  Detail Component databases still could not be read.  I opened AMEP 2010, and Detail Component databases were not being read there, either.

I then ran ACA 2014, and the Detail Component databases could be read (having already run the AEC1.reg file).

Repairing/reinstalling 2010 did not restore the ability to read the Detail Component databases on my new computer.

I have uninstalled all three versions from my original test machine, but will have to wait for next week to see if reinstalling them restores and preserves the ability to read the Detail Component and Keynote databases for all three versions.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 25 of 26
David_W_Koch

@Anonymous wrote:

I have uninstalled all three versions from my original test machine, but will have to wait for next week to see if reinstalling them restores and preserves the ability to read the Detail Component and Keynote databases for all three versions.

It took a lot longer than anticipated, but cleanly uninstalling all AutoCAD verticals from the test machine and then reinstalling AutoCAD Architecture 2010, 2014 and 2016 (in that order) resulted in the Detail Component Manager working in all three versions.  I am not certain why the image used on new machines (created from the same deployments I used) resulted in the 2010 version being unable to read the database but it did.  The registry fix worked on the 2014 and 2016 versions, but not on the 2010 version.

I cannot spend the time to manually uninstall/reinstall on every new machine, so the main strategy will be to get everyone off 2010, but if there are a few exceptions where moving to 2014 is not possible and the Detail Component Manager is needed, it is possible.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 26 of 26
mikeshick
in reply to: anzaconline

This solved my problems twice now.  Back in 2014 and now again for version 2017.  Great work.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost