AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2011 student

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
298 Views, 2 Replies

Autocad 2011 student

I'm studying architecture and I would like to download student version of Autocad, what is the difference between Autocad, and Autocad Architecture. Does both have the 3D option?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
philip.s
in reply to: 1201074

Hi Annie,

This AutoCAD Comparison Matrix will highlight a few of the differences.

Message 3 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: 1201074

Both offer 3D capabilities.  AutoCAD Architecture [ACA] is a "vertical" product, built on top of AutoCAD.  In addition to having all (technically, "most all", as there are a few AutoCAD commands that are disabled because they either do not play nice with ACA or have a better alternative in ACA) of the features in AutoCAD, there are additional objects and features available in ACA, that allow you to design with objects that represent real-world objects, like Walls and Doors.  These objects interact with each other based on the way they would in the real world.  Insert a Door in a Wall, and the Door automatically cuts an opening in the Wall.

If you are studying architecture, I would think that you would find the additional capabilities of ACA useful.  There is an additional learning curve.  You may also want to compare both of these to Revit Architecture, unless the class(es) you are taking require the use of AutoCAD/ACA.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost