AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2010 - Autocad is running out of system memory

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
Anonymous
5095 Views, 29 Replies

Autocad 2010 - Autocad is running out of system memory

I am using Autocad 2010. I am using HP workstation 4600. The system configuration are as follows:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPu E7400 @2.53Ghz 2.53GHz, 4.0 GB RAM, 64bit Operating system (Windows Vista Business)

The problem is that I am getting the error "Autocad is running out of system memory.Continuing the current command may result in program failure or loss of data. Do you want to cancel the current command?
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The best I can tell you is what we did to fix this, upgrade to a new computer. Of course this has meant having to deal with 64 vs 32 bit functionality and switching to windows 7 which takes some additional getting used to. To make matters even more difficult, there is and industry lag in getting video drivers certified, so even though I am running 8 processors and have 12 gig of ram, I still have to wait forever for saves and opens across our 32 bit network. My screen blinks every time I switch views or save. I suppose Nvidia and Autodesk will get there stuff together by the time I upgrade to 2014. Of course by then I will probably have to upgrade to the next generation of incompattible hardware/ OS/ software combinations. Gee, aint progress grand?
Message 22 of 30
Bill.Schmid

> {quote:title=mhamson wrote:}{quote}
> any fix on this yet?

Nope. No fix. It's still happening. The cute thing is when it says it's out of memory, do you want to cancel the command - and the command you were trying to execute was SAVE.

It sounds like they've got a 64-bit computer on order for her. Hopefully that will help, although with only 6G of RAM in it, I'm not sure.

Just a thought - could it be that everyone is using graphics cards that share system memory? It looks like even some of the Quadro's do this.

Bill
Message 23 of 30
Kevin.Bell

I don't know whether service pack 2 fixes this - I would like to think so...!!

But, the work around is this:

AutoCAD does not seem to release memory as it should do when you close a drawing, so if you open loads of drawings and then close them the memory allocation to autocad builds up until you hit the limit on 32bit systems and it crashes.

The way around, is to close AutoCAd and reopen it every so oftern as this releases the memory, so after you open and close, say, 10 drawing close and restart AutoCAD then you can carry on.

This seems to reduce the occurances of this crash for is.

Not the best work around though...
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous

My problem is I don't even get that far.

I turn on the computer, open the drawing, execute the 3Dclip command and it crashes. There couldn't be any more memory to release as it hasn't even started.

I'm running AutoCAD 2010 on Windows XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz with 3.25GB RAM and a 6GB page file.

Any suggestions? (The links to the support pages are broken).
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous

If you have not tried this, it may help:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9729516&linkID=9240697

If this link is broken, search autodesk.com for:
3GB switch and AutoCAD® Civil 3D®
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous

Hi fellas...I'm getting the same problem. Could it be that there is too much data in one program? Because I am working with all my drawings in one file. I have my Site Plan, Elevations, Floor Plans, and Sections all on one file.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous

I believe acad has grown to such a size that running it on a 32bit OS where it can only access 2Gb of RAM is no longer an option. If you don't have plans to upgrade to 64bit with at least 8Gb of RAM, then may I suggest you've reached the limit of acad upgrades. This 400lb gorilla of a program needs feeding and 'home' level computers don't seem to cope any more.

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous

Thank-you to everyone who has replied to my question. It is very frustrating to have to deal with this. The program costs a lot of money, and we should not have to deal with this. But unfortunately we have this community to rely on, and I appreciate every word believe me..As of late last night, my computer just shut down, causing me to lose an hours worth of hard work. A window popped up stating that I had a FATAL ERROR: And it said " Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x08db Exception at 62Of1ff4h. I do not understand this message, but I do know that it cannot be good either..Once again thank-you for the replies and thank-you in advance to anyone with further comments. I will definitely keep in touch for further reviews.

Darcy6778

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous

The problem is that on the latest versions of AutoCAD (2009 and above) when you close a file down but not the entire AutoCAD program AutoCAD doesn't  always return the memory it used back to windows system control. So when it goes to do something else it doesn't use that free memory and so it slowly runs out of system memory. Other than upgrading to a VERY VERY BIG amount of memory, the only quick solution is to completely shut AutoCAD down which does then return all the AutoCAD memory back to the windows system.

Message 30 of 30
twox2

I have the same problem on 6 computers with ACA 2011. We have 5 that are on 32 bit XP w/ 2 GB of ram and 1 that is 32 bit windows 7 w/ 4 GB of ram.  We have done the close down at lunch and dinner, but it seems about after 4 hours, we get the error.  the cad file is about 12 mb, so not to big.  We had just upgraded a month ago from 2008 to 2011. In 2008, we could have 5 cad files open and no problem.  Now we have issues with 1 open.

For all that money for the software you think it would fix a problem that has been around since 2009 version.

Does the unlimited undo have an issue with this and can we limited the number of undos?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost