AutoCAD Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2010- ARE YOU KIDDING!!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
btblues13
718 Views, 19 Replies

Autocad 2010- ARE YOU KIDDING!!

FYI to everyone, So if you are using Autocad 2010 you should know that once you open a drawing up in this version, if you try to open it in an earlier release, some important stuff WONT WORK ANYMORE! I opened a drawing in 2010 yesterday, did a little work, then closed the drawing. This morning I opened that same drawing and now I cant use my DETAIL COMPONENT MANAGER or my DESIGN TOOLS! Are you KIDDING ME!!
I even saved the drawing to and earlier version (2007) and it still wont work. So basically Autodesk is telling us that if we want to use 2010 then every consultant we work with better have it too or they wont be able to do/access many of the important features that we all use everyday!

If anyone knows how to fix this problem do tell.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: btblues13

let me get this right. You opened a file in 2010
and saved it yesterday. Today you opened the same file in 2010 or a earlier
version? Either way the detail component manger and design tools are not tied to
a DWG. If those tools work in your 2010 version but not in say 2006, then
the installation of 2010 changed something and you need to do a repair to the
earlier version. If this is just in 2010, then something happened to your
install, your profile and those to tools can no longer find the correct files
they need or you some how moved or deleted the needed files for those
tools.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
FYI
to everyone, So if you are using Autocad 2010 you should know that once you
open a drawing up in this version, if you try to open it in an earlier
release, some important stuff WONT WORK ANYMORE! I opened a drawing in 2010
yesterday, did a little work, then closed the drawing. This morning I opened
that same drawing and now I cant use my DETAIL COMPONENT MANAGER or my DESIGN
TOOLS! Are you KIDDING ME!! I even saved the drawing to and earlier version
(2007) and it still wont work. So basically Autodesk is telling us that if we
want to use 2010 then every consultant we work with better have it too or they
wont be able to do/access many of the important features that we all use
everyday! If anyone knows how to fix this problem do
tell.
Message 3 of 20
btblues13

Yes, I opened a dwg and worked on it using 2010. Saved it back to version 2007. Opened the SAME drawing this morning using 2009. I tried to open my DETAIL COMP MNGR and got an error message, I tried to do a WALLADD, and it wouldnt work either.
I understand what u r saying about those features not being tied to a dwg. But why would installing 2010 change anything in 2009? They are seperate programs in separate files.? R u trying to tell me I have to RE-install 2009 because I installed 2010? That is crazy. Let me know, because I have been having serious problems getting 2010 to work like I want it (aka I hate the stupid RIBBON) and if this is the kind of crap I am gonna have to deal with I will stay with 2009 for as long as I can.
Thanx.
Message 4 of 20
David_W_Koch

AutoCAD 2010 and all of the AutoCAD-2010-based verticals, such as AutoCAD Architecture, have a new file format, just like the 2004 and 2007 releases did. As was the case in 2004 and 2007, opening a file created in a previous version will promote all of the AEC objects to the new format. Saving the file with the newer release means that previous releases will not be able to edit the AEC objects, even if you "save down" to the previous file format. If objects from a future version are detected when opening that file in the previous release, then the AEC commands will all be disabled, including the Detail Component Manager. Even if your intent is not to edit any of the existing AEC objects, you will not be able to add any new ones or use any AutoCAD-Architecture-specific commands. That is the way it always has been, the way it is and is likely the way it always will be. (You could do a search, this topic comes up every time there is a file format change.) At least in 2007 and (presumably) in 2010, you should get a warning when opening the file that AEC objects from a previous release are detected and will be promoted to the new format, and that saving the file would make them unusable as AEC objects in earlier releases.

If your file has no AEC objects or you can live with the AEC objects exploded to AutoCAD linework, you could export the file back to a previous release format that is compatible with the version you would like to use.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 20
btblues13

Thanks a lot for the information.. I appreciate it. No thanks to AUTODESK.
From what I have experienced so far with this new version(2010) it shows me how little Autodesk cares about its customers. We are basically being forced not only to updated to the latest version, but we are slowly being forced to use Autodesk's "Standards" i.e. THE RIBBON. Gone are the days of having the choice of either MACROS or Toolbars. Now its all about the RIBBON, and if you dont wanna use it well then your access to many features is denied.
You know there was another group who tried to make everyone do what they wanted, they were called Nazi's.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

We go through this with every format change, and everyone still seems
totally surprised by it.

It happened with ADT2004
Again in ADT2007
Now in ACA2010

Not new, but it sure catches everyone taking the new version for a spin
without preparing for it.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 7 of 20
btblues13

To Everyone, thank you so much for your help. I apologize for getting irate and ranting, it was unprofessional of me. I am just frustrated.
Again thanks to everyone for their input.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

Why were you surprised? 2010 warns whenever an earlier version is opened
and plainly states the effects of saving the drawing in the current format.
These dialogs are important and shouldn't be ignored. Stay on the earlier
version for current projects and use the new version only for new projects.

wrote in message news:6160222@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks a lot for the information.. I appreciate it. No thanks to AUTODESK.
From what I have experienced so far with this new version(2010) it shows me
how little Autodesk cares about its customers. We are basically being forced
not only to updated to the latest version, but we are slowly being forced to
use Autodesk's "Standards" i.e. THE RIBBON. Gone are the days of having the
choice of either MACROS or Toolbars. Now its all about the RIBBON, and if
you dont wanna use it well then your access to many features is denied. You
know there was another group who tried to make everyone do what they wanted,
they were called Nazi's.
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

🙂 we all bang our heads against the wall at times, so you're in good
company...

btblues13 wrote:
> To Everyone, thank you so much for your help. I apologize for getting
> irate and ranting, it was unprofessional of me. I am just frustrated.
> Again thanks to everyone for their input.
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Ouch, that hurts!

--

"Wanderer" wrote in message
news:6160243@discussion.autodesk.com...
:-) we all bang our heads against the wall at times, so you're in good
company...

btblues13 wrote:
> To Everyone, thank you so much for your help. I apologize for getting
> irate and ranting, it was unprofessional of me. I am just frustrated.
> Again thanks to everyone for their input.
Message 11 of 20
noahma

To me, it shows that Autodesk indeed does care about getting us the latest and greatest tools to hopefully streamline our work, while at the same time giving us new tools to create our items. The file format change is not to force us to move into the newest release, it is needed to allow for new tools and future tools to be implemented. (could be worse, people in Revit, cannot open files period that were produced in a new version of the software, there is NO backwards compatibility)
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

Hey, Ric... izzat your real email address posted? I've got a couple of
q's for you...

Ric Hammond wrote:
> Ouch, that hurts!
>
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:53:13 +0000, btblues13 <> wrote:

>FYI to everyone, So if you are using Autocad 2010 you should know that once you open a drawing up in this version, if you try to open it in an earlier release, some important stuff WONT WORK ANYMORE! I opened a drawing in 2010 yesterday, did a little work, then closed the drawing. This morning I opened that same drawing and now I cant use my DETAIL COMPONENT MANAGER or my DESIGN TOOLS! Are you KIDDING ME!! I even saved the drawing to and earlier version (2007) and it still wont work. So basically Autodesk is telling us that if we want to use 2010 then every consultant we work with better have it too or they wont be able to do/access many of the important features that we all use everyday! If anyone knows how to fix this problem do tell.

If I understand this correctly, your issues are possibly related to your
installation of 2010 while keeping 2009 installed. The issue probably has
nothing to do with the drawing file itself.

If you run a Registry repair of ACA 2009, the Detail Component Manager should
then work fine.

Of course, I cannot promise that it doesn't screw up 2010. 🙂

Matt
matt@stachoni.com
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

maybe

--

"Wanderer" wrote in message
news:6160344@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hey, Ric... izzat your real email address posted? I've got a couple of
q's for you...

Ric Hammond wrote:
> Ouch, that hurts!
>
Message 15 of 20
jlpeterson

I haven't installed our version of 2010 yet, but I had the same issue with ACA 2008 to ADT 2005 translation. As I recall, I was able to wblock the whole drawing out of 2008 as a 2004 dwg and then the drawing would not cause a problem with the Detail Component Manager while working in ADT 2005.

Jason
Message 16 of 20
mikeashton8316

We are not suprised by it but discussed by it , it is counter productive and does not appear to help anyone .
AutoDesk claims to want to keep us productive but chooses to make it impossible to colaborate by it's overly protective environment.
Also haphazardly changed icons benefit no one not even AutoDesk, you are just placating your programmers and annoying the users.
If you care to read the remarks concerning your RIBBON you wopuld see that it is universally disliked but we are stuck with it becauser AutoDesk doesn't give a rats*** what we think. The lack of a positive response to customer complaints indicates the total lack of responsability or a commitment to reliability of your product.
Message 17 of 20
jmcintyre

Just be thankful you're not using revit then. The file format changes every release.
Message 18 of 20
Paullafferty55

instead of saving it as another version of autocad, go to file - export to autocad -and pick the version you want to save it as. This should work.
Message 19 of 20
mike

Try write blocking out the entire drawing in 2009 and reopening it.
Message 20 of 20
BOBKELLERMAN

Re -- THE RIBBON---

At least in the groups I was in at Autodesk U, people have gotten used to the ribbon, and appreciate having everything in one place -- they won't go back. Besides, Lynn Allen told me that she likes 2010, and its improved ribbon, a lot: I always listen to her, lol.

HOWEVER, mostly, the folks who go to AU are oriented toward moving forward, and give new features a fair shot. The "I like it the way I learned it in 1985, why does greedy Autodesk bedevil me?" guys tend not to go to AU, nor do they tend to carefully read up on the features before grousing. I am with the crowd that is very glad that AutoCAD and ACA keep changing for the better, overall -- and I understand that means new code, thus new format.

BTW -- It is rare that I notice someone posting, who has all those past versions installed and uses them. I might suggest keeping 2009 (for the 2007 file format), and 2006 (for the 2004 format), if I wanted a selection available. The "installing 200X effs up 200Y" is not a new suprise, nor is the need to pay attn to the file formats.

BOB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost